Life is Strange - Square Enix, Remember Me, rewinding time

I put off resuming this initially because I there was a big patch. And now it turns out it hadn’t even downloaded the next episode. Guess it’ll wait a bit longer to resume.

Just a quick note that season 2 is currently on sale for $16 on Steam - just picked it up.

Cross posted to the Streaming thread.

I finished my playthrough of Life is Strange 2 last night. I thought it was a great story, maybe not responsive enough to choices, but with many great moments and great characters. The last episode was powerful.

Finished Life is Strange 2 today. While the drama felt a bit forced and artificial from time to time, on the whole Life is Strange 2 did manage to portray an enjoyable story that anyone (and particularly those with younger siblings) can empathize with and be moved by.
Visuals were amazing, every location dripping with atmosphere and beautiful art. Bit of shame this sequel seems to have been much less successful than the first game. I get why, new protags are not a big draw when people already love Max and Chloe, hell I also waited for a big sale before getting it. But definitely worth it, Dontnod didn’t disappoint.
My favourite was probably episode 4, Karen was great addition to cast.
My ending - I surrendered in the end, Daniel accepted it and grew up with the grandparents, while Sean had to spend 15 years in Jail. Sucks, but…I think it was a good ending, in a way.

I got the same ending, actually. Felt authentic to me too.

Having just watched the other endings on youtube, yep this is the best one.

That was my ending as well, and I was happy with it.

Overall, I thought the game made a lot of improvements, but it didn’t end up hitting as hard. Partially because I played the episodes as they released instead of days apart like LiS1, but also I think the road-trip nature of the story meant that it never really developed that same sense of place, and the secondary characters mostly came and went without relationships being formed at the same depth.

Maybe the gaps between episodes did make a difference, because I waited until they were all released and I personally felt like they all hit pretty hard. Not a lot of subtlety there, but you definitely felt the cumulative unfairness of their situation growing and driving them to what would probably be an undesirable outcome.

Since it doesn’t have a thread of its own, I will add that I really appreciated that Tell Me Why was released in three weekly episodes, so there wasn’t a lot of downtime between playing each one. I guess one might ask why bother with episodic releases in that case, and I don’t know enough about how that might change development of the game, but I did wonder about that myself.

Square is starting to tease a new Life Is Strange. Bigger reveal due on Thursday.

Looking forward to it. I’m partially through the Life is Strange 2 chapters; it didn’t grab me like the first games in the series, but I still intend on finishing it. I very much like the story and style of the games, though, and I’m hoping they don’t do a chapter-by-chapter release for this one. I think that slow dribble of content hurts more than helps.

I’m in! I’m pretty much always down for these games, I love their relatively low-stakes adventures as a slice of life with a twist. They’re a great little breath of fresh air between killing foozles and saving the galaxy.

Wow, I’m excited for this, and will be a PS5 buy this time. I’m almost certain to get the Ultimate Edition with the remastered originals (played on PC) to move everything to next-gen. I like that the power this time hits at emotion, which offers more opportunities for nuance, interpretation, and connection, since they already did time and object manipulation. Looks fantastic.

If you want to spoil the NEXT 15 minutes of the game, there’s also this!

I must have missed an announcement about a tv series somewhere along the line (first announced in 2016!), because I just saw this: ‘Life Is Strange’ Series From Legendary TV, dj2 Entertainment, Enlists Shawn Mendes, Anonymous Content to Produce.

Now it’s on my radar.

I had assumed it fell into TV development hell! The executive producer of 13 Reasons Why is also reported to be an EP on the show. Maybe this is happening.

I love all the fans who reacted to the Shawn Mendes announcement by saying, “Why do they need him? The soundtrack is already perfect.” Oh, they’re going to be torn all kinds of directions watching their beloved game get hammered into a TV series.

I almost forgot to pre-order this for the PS5 (got the Ultimate Bundle for the remastered games in 2022). Finally, my first PS5 game arrives this week!

And good to see an early review that is pretty positive about it at Ars.

I’m in the middle of moving so won’t be able to pick this up on release. I’m almost ready for some LiS again… it’s been a long time since I have been.