Limit Theory - a dedicated thread

This game probably should have had it’s own thread donkey’s years ago (is that an expression in the usa too?), but i’ve mostly been chucking the update links in Brian’s super space game thread here:

But it is quite hard to pick it out of all the quality in that thread, so in light of the recent ‘difficult patch’ the developer of Limit Theory, Josh, has been having these last few months, i’ve decided to start a dedicated thread for the game, as it rightly deserves.

So right off the bat (again, an expression you use in the usa?) we will have the delayed and difficult to get out link for the latest and greatest update that is #21 (it should have come out in October!):

Put aside 40mins of your time and enjoy, very much worth it. And the forum thread about it:

Background:

Limit Theory started as a Kickstarter from an unknown name, but for those that dug a bit deeper it seemed me might have struck ‘gold’ in terms of finding a seriously talented dev, and he was doing all this solo (accept for some music help he hired in), here is the kickstarter page to view:

In terms of communication to the public (because it was not just limited to backers etc) i have not followed a better dev effort, ever. Josh is incredibly open and blogs in great detail (sometimes painfully so!) on the dedicated forums that can be found here:

So even though i’m sure most of you know about this already, if you are those that might not, and be in the market for a proper (yes looking at you SC and Elite: Dangerous) single player space exploration/trading/fighting sim game, with an added modding language, then you really owe it to yourself to read up and find out all about this potentially awesome game.

P.S. Sorry KrayzKrok!

Latest update looks great! Can’t wait for the final product. I feel like he’s earned my money just in his great updates.

I’ve been reading praises by you guys about his updates for ages now, but the kickstarter emails I get from him don’t set my world on fire, so I’m still not sure what you guys are talking about. I’m glad I backed the project way back then, going off of your enthusiasm, but still, I do have to wonder what I’m missing. Is the magic only in the video updates? Could that be why?

Yeah, the video is where the magic happens.

OK, I’ll try to find the time to watch a video again. The last one I tried watching was last year. It was really long and nothing really happened, no important information was conveyed in the first 10 minutes, so I gave up on it.

I watched the latest video and you definitely can hear the dev’s enthusiasm. He tends to go on and on about the features he’s adding so it does tend to drag a bit (I understand that adding your own text rendering engine can be a big deal but I don’t think you need to spend 15 minutes talking about it!). This latest video does have a few minutes in the beginning where he’s just showing off the game engine, and as someone not familiar with the game that was nice to see.

The game looks very slick but I’m not sure that I have room on my plate for Elite Dangerous (which I’m still considering buying) and this at the same time.

While i think the more space games the better i started to hate all the nebula space stuff.
Reminds me on my live before Lasik.

Still hope it will be a success.

Indeed this game looks fantastic, he has done an amazing job of making a npc filled universe look alive.

:O

Space Rails!

Very impressive looking so far. Definitely lifts my spirits now that the two big space sim efforts are multiplayer only.

50% true, the other 49% happens in his dev logs:

Now the reason they are great is because they are really just like a diary of what he has been dealing with, his thought process and solutions and even an ‘Apocalypse Now’ like journey to visit his very own Kurtz (i kid you not). So if you like designing games and systems, or are more creative but like hard sci-fi, or even are just curious from the psychological angle (how does a human do with a stash of cash and an expectant public, locked up in his ‘cave’ for x months), they are a rare (in game dev circles) thing.

For my a huge part of the charm of LT is the underdog thing. Here is Josh, a charming guy himself, directly taking on Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, sort of around the same time (and not deliberately) and pound for pound (if he were a lightweight, Elite a middleweight, and SC obviously the Heavyweight) i think he may be the ‘best’ of this generation of space sims. Mostly because of the single player focus and the modding that allows, so with the added LTST language he is giving to us, ‘we’ will be able to do all the amazing things the game won’t ship with, and it will be massive, in the same way the modding scene for the TES games is (i think, maybe).

@ lordkosc, i must admit when he first started talking about Space Rails i was not that keen, and then i saw the new X and that kind of completely killed my interest, but looking at this new energy node thing and seeing it at work, i think it might be something i could get behind. It is not the only way to travel, but where it makes sense it could provide a more immersive fast-travel type system to the game. I was worried about all these very physical constructs through local space, hardware that could be damaged, needed protection etc, etc, but this energy node thing is much less intrusive so i’m willing to give it some slack and see where it goes.

@ Charlatan, i’m in for SC, ED and LT and probably with two of those requiring online connectivity to function, i can see myself locked away in LT’s single player game world, free from MMO concerns, more than the others maybe?

@krayzkrok, you know i love crocs too right? As soon as i had posted this thread i checked Brian’s and there was your link, but i think maybe you agree that LT deserves it own place in the sun, especially as we get close to beta (or whatever is going to happen!).

@RayRayK, for sure. I’m hoping it will be a much more relaxing game to play because of that, and it’s looking great (oh apezilla, i believe the amount of nebula dust is a setting thing, Josh just loves lots of dust, but you should be able to set it to be much less sparse in your game iirc).

Man. So many super cool looking space games coming out. Every time I check in on this I want it more and more. This and Enemy Starfighter are really fighting it out in my mind over which one I want more.

Enemy Starfighter? I haven’t heard of that one yet. Was that a kickstarter too? I backed Limit Theory and another one that actually came out, but I never did check it out because they changed the description to a space ship creator or something. Oh yeah, it was called Skyjacker. I didn’t back Elite because it was Kickstarter UK, and I didn’t back Star Citizen since it was Chris Roberts, and he hasn’t made a game in forever.

Nope, Enemy Starfighter is pure alpha, but it’s also pure amazingness.

http://www.spacegamejunkie.com/series/enemy-starfighter-preview/

http://enemystarfighter.com/

To the best of my knowledge Enemy Starfighter hasn’t done any crowd funding.

Space Game Junkie covered it in a podcast.

Limit Theory seems like much more of an open world space sim, whereas Enemy Starfighter seems a lot more focused and… gamey? It has an overriding objective and seems to be a lot more about achieving said objective through combat instead of the paths normally found in a space sim like trading, exploration, mining and the like.

Procedural generation (in spaaaaaace!) that looks as pretty as Limit Theory’s certainly has a lot of allure for me. I hope it is able to deliver.

edit: looks like Mr Rubin beat me to the punch.

And come back lost thread!

So Josh has announced a change of production that is leading to beta:

Sounds interesting and i wonder if it will work out better for him than the later part of this year did?

This guy sounds way too much like my personality at past times in my life. It’s a little awkward to read. I hope it works out.

And the new format for updates:

I’m kinda happy with that, it looks much less time consuming to put out than those video clips, so i hope this works better for one man band Josh :)

DAYUMN!!! The HUD looks amazing, and its super customizable!

Nearly missed this one (need to tell Josh to make the posts seperate!): Part 2