Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton) Presents: Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles

Yea, Rothfuss has the GRRM disease.

My main problem was that Kvothe came across as a complete unlikable asshole and I just didn’t care about him as a character at all. It’s been a while but he was too perfect, too smart, too whatever. Unless I’m remembering it wrong, just never understood the appeal.

You are basically right, although I think by the end of the first book he has grown past his early unlikability. Sadly, he gets that back in the second book. I just think the first book is done so well, has so much going on and opens a world that new and imaginative.

I loved the first book so much I sat down and read it cover to cover in (mostly) one sitting. And then I had to wait years for the second book to come out. So I’m not going to read any further until it’s done.

This is where I’m at with these books. I get that it’s supposed to be an unreliable narrator who comes off as self-aggrandizing, but there didn’t seem to be much to provide a counter balance. It felt like Ender’s Game all over again.

Yeah, it’s not the unreliable narrator aspect - I’m a big fan of that device. I really liked Anthony Ryan’s Blood Song (first book only though unfortunately.) But I couldn’t even finish this one because I didn’t care at all. Hopefully the movie and/or play somehow changes that.

Let’s hope LMM convinces him to write like he’s running out of time!

Holy smokes! I’d like to have been in the room where that happened! Click boom! ;)

I fell in love with the Hamilton soundtrack a few months ago when I first listened to it (yes lttp) and I’m a big fan of the Kingkiller books. So this is amazing!

@Peacedog, LMM hosted SNL and gave a great monologue (adapted song from the musical):

The bit around 3:00 is pretty painful in hindsight. ;(

Yeah, I don’t have to rewatch that to know which part you mean. Great episode!

His episode of Drunk History was pretty damned funny too.

Sam Raimi in negotiations to direct. If you follow the Tom Chick guidelines for “Is this really going to happen?” one of the big steps is when actual names start getting inked to contracts. This would be a big step.

I got a notification on my phone that I’d shown interest in Patrick Rothfuss, who has a new work coming out. I got really excited for a second, but it turned out to be a comic in a series called Rick & Morty vs Dungeons & Dragons. So I was about to be let down, but then… wait, Rick & Morty?

Not your strongest move, as someone who at one point subscribed to his blog.

I have read worse books.

Anyway, just imagine what GRRM would do to this character if he took over the series?

He would write bits and pieces of a chapter here and there, teasing out anticipation for years until we all throw it on the heap of stories we just can’t care about anymore? Wait, that’s what Pat Rothfuss does. Rothfuss has a beard and Martin has a beard… coincidence???

Very ambitious project, hope it goes well since so many fans would enjoy this.