Lines on LCD getting longer

Looks like some dead pixels some stuck pixels, but the weird part is that it is visible even when screen is off and unplugged. Not sure what is going on. Vertical line that started a couple inches long and is now half the screen tall. Second one that appeared later looks a bit different but similar. Will post pictures if it will help but just wondering if anyone has had luck stopping something like this from spreading or has any info. I can’t find any info on stuff like this that is visible without power, only dead and stuck pixels which from what I see should not.

Having my monitor like this makes me want to cry irl since I can’t afford new or to repair.

That’s a weird thing you’re experiencing, tbh. A bad connection to the screen is what normally results in dark vertical lines, but those would only be visible when the power is on and they wouldn’t “grow” like you described.

has me baffled as well. They are about one pixel wide and seem to be a mix of dead and stuck pixels. No clue why the lines are getting longer though. When the screen is on with no actual display you can see the backlighting through the line almost like there is a physical hole along it. Truly odd. Clearly seems like something odd and physical has happened inside though.

I’m sorry Harkonis, I have no idea. All I can off is the obligatory…

Have you tried drilling holes through it?

You’re joking of course, but in truth, phasmotic pressure can build up and overload the LCD filaments with phlogiston, and carefully relieving that pressure via small holes can be beneficial. The problem is that the filaments are contained within tubules and they get clogged, so merely drilling the holes is insufficient, you need to apply mechanical pressure. Professionals use essentially mechanized pipecleaners, but at home I recommend sticking your lips onto the hole and sucking that goo out like Jenna Jameson on set at the (forgive the expression) seminal Dirty Bob’s XXXcellent Adventures 35.

Pay it forward! Record it and post the video, so others can learn the proper technique.

Surely they’ve invented a hybrid camera phone device with which you could take a picture of such a defect?

Unfortunately LCDs go bad like that. Normally they keep on ticking with a few lines for a while.