LinkSys Router fubar

I went and downloaded the firmware upgrade for my LinkSys Router/4 port switch (the BEFSR41.)

I run the utility, and the next thing I know, my ability to access the internet is totally shot.

After playing around for 30 minutes, I called the support line for Comcast Broadband, and the guy (who seemed very knowledgeable actually) had me basically do the same things I had just tried.

By this time, I had completely removed the router from the equation, but I couldn’t get the network adapter to do a release/renew of the IP address.

Finally, after unchecking McAffee firewall from the network adapter, the ip magically got fixed, and I was able to surf again.

My question:

What the hell happened?

Has this ever happened to anybody else?

yea.

stop looking at all those fag sites, you idiot! How many of those poop shoot videos can you watch anyway?

huh, how many?

:twisted:

I saw stuff like that all the time doing tech support. probably the dhcp not working on the router or something. or your firewall cant configure with the upgraded firmware. yeah… something to that effect. All this stuff is gay! Anyways, I always reccomended people to turn there firewall off until they get an IP.

Bah … I’m talking like I’m at work. SCREW YOU DUDE! I hate that shit!

etc

I had that happen once to my BEFSR11. The problem is that when you flash your firmware, you have to do the following :

[ol]
[li]Unplug the router from the power
[/li][li]Unplug the DSL/CABLE modem from the power
[/li][li]Disable any software firewall running - or MacAffee stuff
[/li][li]Wait two minutes and shut the machine down
[/li][li]Power up the route and modem, then power up the machine
[/li][/ol]

This is exactly why I don’t use DHCP. I have my IP addresses hardcoded. Once you start pissing around with DHCP, its hard to tell whats blowing what up. Especially if you are running win2K or winXP

Thanks for the help guys. I’ll try the steps you mention this weekend Derek.

Also, bob, thanks for your help. I’ll definitely tell my router to stop watching so many videos. Bad router!

Quite likely Comcast caches the MAC address of your NIC. The BFSR11 typically masquerades it’s hardware address to be that of the first IP connected to it - in your case, the PC. Well, since you flashed the firmware it lost that address and had to get it again, and probably grabbed the MAC of the first DHCP’d IP behind the firewall… and if that was a different device from your PC, then Comcast’s DHCP server probably rejected it as not being on the route table.

Now, as far as when you direct-connected your PC to the modem and still couldn’t get a connection, you probably had a poisoned-route timer set on you due to the MAC bafflement. I’m most experienced with RIP protocol but I’m not sure what they’d be running… IGRP maybe, and I don’t know how long the poison timer is on it.

Basically, motorcycles don’t have doors.

Yep. And thats why the steps above fixes that particularly nasty problem.

Well…I was about to try the steps Derek recommended, when I decided that I would attempt to go through the setup wizard on the disk the router came with. This worked perfectly.

Yay for wizards. (Sometimes.)

Also, your explanation, Aszurom was one of the most fascinating things I have ever read. I have NO idea what you said, but I was absolutely wowed by it. I especially liked the part about poison.

Also, Derek, your suggestions get high marks for understandability. (Although I didn’t try them as I mentioned.)

You need to take that skill and create an ABSOLUTE NOOB walkthru startup guide for BCM. I still intend to just sit down and figure it out over the holidays, but what I really need is BCM for Dummies or something. :D

Thanks again everybody!

hehe, this is the #1 request that I keep getting. So, there will be a guide for BCG. It would probably be sold separately. :D :D :D

Things get especially interesting at LAN-parties using DHCP. I’ve only been to one, but they used DHCP and it was a real mess. Several people obviously used software routing programs without really knowing what they did because they didn’t turn them off at the LAN. So you would reach the internet and the rest of the LAN only when you happened to get the correct one out of the three or four going around the table… It took almost a day before they managed to get it under control.

I think that you should be able to manually change the MAC of the router as well if you have to sync it against your primary computer. It’s supposed to work on my Netgear at least (but flashing the bios worked without problems, so I didn’t actually try it).