Linux? etc

Actually, you should really check out the Ubuntu Live CD, because there really aren’t those annoyances. The problems I’ve had with this so far:

• I had to manually edit a file to use my ridiculously high resolution.
  • Getting all five buttons on my Intellimouse to work was a bitch, really.
  • I still can’t get my taskbar things to flash when, for instance, I get a new IM.
  • The default icons for XMMS and Firefox suck.
  • …Linux can’t write to NTFS in any useful way.

Those are all pretty minor, except the last one. I’m now running Ubuntu exclusively in its own 8GB partition, with a 60GB FAT32 partition for data, and 15GB for installing Windows again whenever I feel like dual-booting.

Honestly, I can’t tell you how impressed I am with Ubuntu. It’s so… easy. Everything just works. But it’s also not crippled in any way. It takes less than half an hour to actually install, and you can get all the rest of it set up in another half hour. It’s smooth, man. If you have an interest in not running Windows (and you don’t use your PC primarily for games), you really owe it to yourself to check it out.

Well, I still game way more than I really should, but now you’re starting to get me again! Now downloading Ubuntu…(sigh)

It’s really so slick. Oh, but I forgot one other thing: Azureus for linux doesn’t seem to be able to save downloads to my FAT32 partition, so I have to move them myself.

And there’s always wine and Cedega if you want to game. Wine actually works now, I hear, and Cedega looks amazing, even if you do have to pay for it.