List of first person perspective RPGs?

There’s also Star Crawlers. It’s in Early Access on Steam so I’ve only played about 5 minutes of it and not recently (I kickstarted it), but it seems very promising.

Vita is actually home to lots of turn-based first person dungeon crawlers made in Japan, if that sounds interesting.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. My problem is, I’m very old, and I’ve played everything lol. Out of all of those, the only two I haven’t played is the Enderal conversion, and Star Crawlers. I suppose I’ll give those a go!

I was hoping that I had somehow missed a release at some point, of some super awesome character building game. Once in a while something falls through the cracks and gets forgotten about.

Thanks a ton for all the suggestions!

Have you played Farcry Primal? I was playing it (till I became consumed by Legion) and if you like the archery gameplay it feels pretty great. I’m playing in survival mode without the permadeath option and it really draws me into the world. Loving it.

It’s got the old-school Dungeon Master vibe (so grid-based 3D, turn-based combat), but Swords & Sorcery : Underworld is a nice indie gem created by one of our very own QT3 folks.

How about the precursor to the Souls games? Want to see how those games would play in first person? (It’s slow, but awesome…)

King’s Field: The Ancient City on PlayStation 2.

Deus Ex games?
Fallout games were mentioned previously, but New Vegas is supposed to be really good.

Haven’t played farcry primal! Played all the rest, thanks again! Will give Farcry a shot!

Genesis:
Shining in the Darkness. (The only one of the Shining Force tactical series, came out before all of them and was 1st person RPG dungeon crawl.)
Might and Magic (which is Might and Magic 2) is better than PC version.

PC: (I know the following list is old but I grew up on these, still have them and miss playing them badly!)
Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (6), Crusaders of the Dark Savant (7), and 8. Highly recommend #7.
Dungeon Master 2 (I never got to play the first one. Pity.)
I personally liked Might & Magic 2, and 3 for PC as well as World of Xeen. (4 & 5 had this unique thing where if you owned both there was a lot of bonus material and extra ending.)
Death Gate (Maybe not a “RPG” because there’s no levels to grind, it’s quite a fun game and story and you are playing a role.)
Lands of Lore series (Sadly I have one form the series but unopened and not played, heard they were really good!)
Eye of the Beholder 1
Eye of the Beholder 2 (Legend of Darkmoon)
Eye of the Beholder 3 (Assault on Myth Drannor)
Ultima Underworld - The Stygian Abyss
Menzoberranzan

It might be late, but may I suggest the kings field series from “from Software”? They are really old school, not grid based, and have a nice leveling system. If you’re an atmosphere junkie like me you’ll also like the shadow tower, same company, same basic game play but amazing visuals. They are however for ps1 so you’d need an emulator. I even enjoyed eternal ring, a successor for ps2 that’s looked down upon by modern gamers because the visuals aren’t the best. I just love the game play. Hope I helped. I myself am looking for more games like this

Your first post is a winner, my friend. King’s Field is a wonderful series of games that are difficult but very rewarding.

Thanks for the necro and the recommendation! I played the King’s Field games when they came out (yes, very old). I’ve played a few newer FP RGPs since this initial post, but oddly enough, am still looking for the holy grail in this genre. I recently put some time into Lichdom Battlemage…which was soooo close to being a great game but ultimately ended up being a bit shallow.

I guess I just need to make a game. I want to graft a Grim Dawn sort of character building, onto a FPS type of game. I’ve wanted to do this since the 90s.

Diablo loot, Grim Dawn character building, FPS, make is so please.

So are we talking less Skyrim more Borderlands?

So I grabbed this really cheap on GoG because the art style looked kinda fun. I haven’t actually played it. My backlog is vaster than empires, and more slow. It’s only $4.99 even when not on sale, though.

https://www.gog.com/game/paper_sorcerer

That art style. It’s like wizardry by way of dark castle.

It looks a bit like drawngeon I think that’s what it was called. That one was grid based though. Also I think we can all agree that deep hidden lore like in dark souls is a very welcome bonus feature

That looks really cool. Would probably look cooler in a muted sort of watercolor style, similar to Sleeping Beauty.

Has anyone suggested Operencia?

@Ultrazen You say you played King’s Field, but did you play Shadow Tower? I haven’t bothered with the first one, but Shadow Tower Abyss (which is available in English only with a fan translation patch on PS2, but so far there doesn’t seem to be a lot of text) is pretty cool. I’ve been playing it a bit and it’s sucking me in with the atmosphere (very Tower of Latria so far).

A game I had on my watchlist, Das Geisterschiff, is on reduced price right now on Steam.
Did anybody play it?
It is a wireframe dungeon crawler aboard a mechwarrior of sort.