List Your Fav Downloadable Podcasts

I just found the blastr podcast… sounds pretty cool. Enjoying it.

I havent really tried many podcasts but now that I do a lot of driving i am looking into them. Other than the wonderful Q23 and Blastr podcasts can people list cool podcasts (that you can download onto your phone to listen in the car)?

I am looking for all the pop culture type of topics that we talk about in all of the forums on this site: vgames, movies, comics, politics,etc.

Looking for funny, bright and upbeat podcasts to make my long drives more bearable.

Thanks

CREATING A LIST:
BLASTR: https://soundcloud.com/blastr-syfy
Q23 MOVIES: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/category/movie_podcasts/
Q23 GAMES: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/category/game_podcasts/
10 Minute Podcast: http://tenminutepodcast.com/
IGN Podcasts: http://ca.ign.com/articles?tags=podcast
…more??

Ten Minute Podcast http://tenminutepodcast.com/

I refer you to my list of subscriptions here and my painfully abbreviated list of recommendations here.

Roderick on the Line

Merlin Mann’s weekly conversations with John Roderick of The Long Winters.
A new episode most weeks, typically around an hour and fifteen minutes or so

It’s just a conversation between John and Merlin about anything, but John’s led a pretty amazing life from growing up in Alaska, to being an alcoholic, to walking across Europe, to being in a band, to an unsuccessful run for Seattle city council. But sometimes they just talk about their favorite Netflix Hitler documentaries. You can jump in anywhere, though I say why not start at the beginning? Here’s a not quite up to date but still useful collection of some of Merlin’s favorites.

Song Exploder

A new episode every couple weeks, usually less than fifteen minutes

Summary from the site:

Song Exploder is a podcast where musicians take apart their songs, and piece by piece, tell the story of how they were made. Each episode is produced and edited by host and creator Hrishikesh Hirway in Los Angeles. Using the isolated, individual tracks from a recording, Hrishikesh asks artists to delve into the specific decisions that went into creating their work. Hrishikesh edits the interviews, removing his side of the conversation and condensing the story to be tightly focused on how the artists brought their songs to life. Past guests include Björk, U2, Iggy Pop, and Carly Rae Jepsen, among many others. In 2016 the Sydney Opera House hosted Song Exploder as an artist-in-residence. The show has been featured at the Sundance Film Festival and SXSW.

I just discovered Song Exploder recently and I’m working my way through the back episodes, there were half a dozen songs I knew that I jumped to right away, but songs I’d never heard of in genres I don’t care about still make for fascinating episodes.

The Flophouse Podcast
http://www.flophousepodcast.com/
New episodes every two weeks, usually around an hour and fifteen minutes.

Three guys watch a “bad” movie before the show, and then the show is them discussing it. Summarizing, analyzing, weighing in with a verdict, but mostly interrupting each other.

I started from the beginning and I’m still about a year behind, but it’s usually a riot. There are some running gags, so I recommend starting from the beginning too if you can handle some of the terrible production early on, back when they were recording from their laptop’s built in mic.

Two of the guys on the show were writers for the Daily Show (Elliot Kalan was actually the head writer, and is now the head writer for the new MST3K), so these are funny people. Funny, super-annoying, interrupting each other all the time, making up terrible songs, people.

Remaster

New episodes weekly, usually about 45 minutes to an hour.
A gaming podcast I enjoy for giving a perspective outside my own. The hosts are all from Europe, Federico is in Italy, Myke’s in England, Shahid is…somewhere? I forget, maybe England too, and he was most recently working for Sony Europe as the Senior Business Development Manager—basically he was the guy trying to get indie games on the PlayStation.

These guys have very different taste in games from me, but that’s why I like the show. It keeps my perspective on the industry ever-so-slightly broader.

Currently my favorite Podcasts include:

The Giant Beastcast: Vinny and Alex from Giant Bomb rope Jeff Bakalar from CNET into riffing on all the gaming news each week. Vinny’s always been the best and he has a great chemistry with Alex and Jeff. It’s just too bad Austin Walker is no longer a regular. Speaking of which…

Waypoint Radio: Hosted by Austin Walker, EIC of Vice’s new gaming site Waypoint, with Patrick Klepek and Danielle Riendeau who both have long podcast resumes. Twice weekly look at the news, plus deeper dives into theory and politics as related to games.

Easy Allies Podcast: Featuring Brandon Jones, Kyle Bosman and a rotating lineup of other former Game Trailers staff in a weekly show about all the big news and fun discussion prompts from Patreon supporters.

Podcast versions of radio and TV shows like Fresh Air, Left Right & Center, and Real Time With Bill Maher.

Also:

In Our Time
The Angry Chicken
The Civil War
Ancient Warfare Magazine
New York Times Book Review

Can anyone recommend a -good- android podcast app? Or are you all just downloading and playing via a built-in media player?

Pocket Casts. It’s missing a few features I’d like it to have as a power user (especially an episode description search function), but it syncs across platforms and is fairly customisable.

Works for me @Ginger_Yellow

I’ll start with that and see how well it works for me. My daily commute is getting extended to the point I’m exploring even more media options.

Other popular options include BeyondPod and DoggCatcher

I use Podcast Addict. I am new to podcasts in general, but I’ve found this one to be more than adequate.

As for my favorite podcasts, my #1, and it’s not even close, is an older one that has only put out 1 new episode this year, but I still have a blast listening to the older episodes, is Mike and Tom Eat Snacks http://nerdist.com/podcasts/mike-and-tom-eat-snacks-channel/

Tony

Playing with the sync right now, this is pretty slick. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Hardcore History is the only podcast I listen too. There are some free episodes in itunes, but his Rome and Eastern Front series are well worth buying. You may know history, but you don’t know Hardcore History. Dan Carlin is a national treasure.

Holy cow … 5 hour long podcasts? Those are essentially audiobooks! Subbed.

Not only are they audiobook length, I have actually gone and read some of the source material because he made it so freaking interesting. At one point while listening to Death Throes of the Republic, (about Rome) I was also playing TW: Rome, watching Rome on HBOGO and reading Tom Hollands Rubicon.

The other one that blew me away was Ghosts of the Ostfront an absolutely chilling tale of the Eastern Front.

Currently he has King of Kings listed as free since it is the most recent podcast, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the Persian stuff. You can’t go wrong with the two I listed even though you have to buy them. I would sit in my car in my driveway because I couldn’t stop listening.

Edit: Wrath of the Khans was really good too!

I’ve always viewed podcasts as a waste of my time. I can read faster than people can speak and greatly prefer it (ditto with internet video for the most part). Honest question - what is the attraction?

I commute about an hour in total, back and forth from work. I love listening to podcasts in the car!

They’re radio shows, but you can listen to them whenever you want and they are able to target niche audiences. Also, have you tried reading while cooking or driving or playing games?

Exactly. Always something new and interesting/funny to listen to on my commute, or just around the house if I’m doing something like washing dishes that doesn’t need my full attention but I can’t do in front of a TV.

I usually end up listening to music. Sometimes I’ll pull up NPR, or the local news and/or sports station on the radio until I hit a commercial and then I go back to streaming my music.