LITRPG/GameLit Books

And for counterpoint @Rock8man, I’ll just redirect you upthread:

I got about halfway through book 10 while it was being serially published on Royal Road and haven’t returned to the series, but I enjoyed my time with it.

And omg Beware of Chicken… I read through the 3 published books (which comprise volumes 1 and 2 of the serial novel) which were fantastic. And have started reading volume 3 on Royal Road (the author casualfarmer is currently about 25% into volume 5.) This series just scratches an itch I didn’t know I had. I almost prefer it on Royal Road because the author publishes notes with each chapter, including fan art. And he credits his (volunteer?) editors, who apparently do a great job; this is the most polished serial series I’ve read. So if you’re looking for something cozy. An isekai that barely mentions the Before. An epic that isn’t really epic. A cultivation fantasy that is about rejecting the magical rat race to pursue farming. Power creep that comes from kindness. Found families galore. Battle scenes where the participants have to deal with the consequences. It’s just so clever and soothing. Also, the audiobook is narrated by @tbaldree!

I’ll disagree a little bit, which will require spoilers. Book 4 showed a lot of potential and had some great character work. His sister Erica, his niece Emy, the New Zealander Tikka, his uncle Hiro, Ana, the vampire Vermillion, there were so many great characters to explore. But in Book 5 and 6, instead of exploring those characters, he chose to spend most of those books with just Jason and new villains instead. In an alternate universe, Books 5 and 6 could have been really cool.

This is true, which is one reason I’m disappointed in the change in the series after the first trilogy.