LITRPG/GameLit Books

Dungeon Core Series - think alog the lines of Dungeon Keeper but in this case it is SciFi. I include Dungeon Core stories as a part of LITRPG/Gamelit/Progression

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would - still reading through the series. I like the series because there are more characters than most core books which made it feel better (instead of the core growing itself it has other characters that also grow have setbacks etc.

@malkav11

I do believe I read the first book but think I stopped for some reason. I will get back to it eventually.

I read and enjoyed the first two books. The author is a cut or two above the average LitRPG author. I will get back to the next book sooner or later.

Another one I liked that a flamed out on after a book or two – maybe just one.

@Mark_Asher

The reason for the thread was to help point to the better stories (I totally get how reading too many can put one off).

It amazes me on how many of these books are on KU. There is a lot! I have learned that not all of them are created equal.

I have been reading a lot of Light Novels too but they can also lead to burn out since so many are similar.

So here’s one I’ll toss out there. It’s a gameworld Lovecraft MMO where the game world bleeds into the real world.

I thought it a cut above the average LitRPG book. There’s a second book out set in France I haven’t read yet.

These books I’ve mentioned are all Kindle Unlimited books, which means if you subscribe to it (first month free I believe) they are free to download. Most of the LitRPG books are on KU.

So these aren’t books that are games, but the anime equivalent of “trapped in an mmo” stories?

More or less. The genre is usually built on the premise of a protagonist’s world becmoming gamified in some way, replete with stats and RPG style progression systems, monsters, spells, etc, etc.

Interesting, thanks.

So, the defining characteristic (for me at least), is the protagonist having some sort of RPG style stats and progression. There’s a few ways this comes up that I’ve seen. Sometimes you have them getting transported to a world which behaves by RPG style rules. Sometimes the world turns into one with RPG style rules. Sometimes they are playing a VR MMO. Sometimes they go from playing a VR MMO to a world that is what the VR MMO was based on…

But the anime trapped in an MMO stories I’ve seen really don’t care about the game mechanics or game progression etc and LitRPG very much does. Some to the point of having an updated multipage character sheet every handful of pages.

Here’s one I read years ago that had a bit of a twist on the “Dropped in an MMO” trope. Instead, our hero learns that reality is just a computer simulation and learns how to hack the system and alter reality. Hijinks ensue. It’s also more humorous that most of the other LitRPG’s I’ve read, although it’s definitely on the sophomoric side. Lots of puns and (as I recall) dick jokes.

The first book came out in 2014, and it’s the first of the genre that I remember reading:

Great topic! I have gotten into these over the last couple of years as I find them very easy reads when I am not looking for something that takes too much effort. B movie is the perfect comparison for these. There is a lot of garbage in this genre that is more “Neal Breen” and not really worth the time, but here’s my list of what I’ve found to be enjoyable and well-written.

He Who Fights with Monsters
Started reading these last month and am enjoying them quite a bit. What makes this one work so well is the characters and the genuinely well-written humor. Many of these books that try to do humor are operating at a middle-school level and generally turn me off. This series stands out (at least as of book 3).

Awaken Online
Great premise and characters. This one is a mix of real and game worlds and deals with some pretty decent themes involving the AI who runs the game.

Completionist Chronicles
Only one book into this one, but enjoyed it a lot. The premise is around a guy who is dying so he gets his conscience injected into a game that everyone else is playing.

Ascend Online
This one is decent in that it is a very traditional fantasy world, like reading Everquest. Not as interesting as the ones above, but well written and recognizable.

I’ll add two more to the list that aren’t technically LitRPG, but rather progression fantasy. I think these books scratch the very same itch as the titles above.

Mage Errant
A simple tale of a boy and his friends growing more powerful and having adventures. Nothing too complicated here, but very readable and well-written.

Cradle
This is the very best in progression fantasy (my opinion) and is the series that got me down the LitRPG rabbit hole in the first place. So much fun to read that I would recommend these to pretty much anyone who enjoys fantasy or martial arts.

I read a lot of these because of work - and I’m super picky.

Here are some of my faves not listed above -

Shadeslinger -
Well written, big WoW nostalgia - and Frank the Axe and House are the best. It’s legitimately, consistently funny - and maintains quality throughout the series.

Pixel Dust
Tons of heart, easy on the ‘mechanical’ side of things.

Death Cultivator - this is Progression Fantasy like Cradle, but I love it a lot. Blue collar vibes plus Borderlands. Well written, great characters. Unfortunate cover art.

Beware of Chicken - wholesome, charming. Isekaied Canadian says to hell with the power fantasy and starts a farm. This is great.

Full disclosure - I narrated the audio for these, but that’s how I encounter most of these books, so I can’t really help it-

Also, apparently a female author. I will check this out.

This is on my queue to read next. I think I might jump on the audiobook after I finish the one I’m currently listening to :)

This is certainly an interesting one, and well written, as you say. I bailed in the second book, however, because I got tired of the endless snark.

I listened to Shadeslinger was going to recommend it next, I also purchased the sequel Black Sand Baron but haven’t gotten to it yet.

I see the author has a third book Gilded Ghost not sure if that is in the same series?

@tbaldree

I am curious - do you tend to read other books ( other than work) and if so do you read or listen? I be interested in hearing your favorite narrators too.

I was looking up Gamelit vs LitRPG differences and came across this:

GameLit = Game Themes. LitRPG = Game Stats/numbers

I suppose LitRPG is a sub classification under GameLit. So every LitRPG could be called a GameLit story but not every GameLit is LitRPG. I think Progression can be a part of both.

I think Cradle Series is GameLit since it has progression but I could see it being considered as fantasy. Not a big deal where any of the books fall as far as a category goes. I like these kinds of books and looking to find well written ones.

I believe the genre is improving and attracting a lot of talented authors. Nice to see that happen. I do think that KU has helped GameLit find a footing because it made it more affordable to rent the books and therefore stick with them when the writing skills were subpar.