Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Thanks! Appreciate the quick review :). I’ll hold off for a while.

@cicobuff funny you guys mention that about Brigador. It seems cool, but it looks very bland, even in motion. I’ve thought about buying it a couple of times but haven’t bit on it. And these days I’m barely using my PC anyway.

On the subject of polish, there are so many games to choose from these days, that I tend to discriminate on how stuff looks and sounds. No I really don’t want to play your game with retro 16-bit art…

I mentioned this last year, but Voidpoint and 3D Realms are just about ready to formally unveil Ion Maiden, a Build engine powered FPS next week. It’s going to be glorious!

Oooooohhhhh

The animation on that is freaking me out. The hand goes down and the grenade goes forward.

Make it stop.

If Brigador isn’t working for someone, that just means that person hasn’t found the right vehicle yet.

-Tom

Into the Breach from maker of FTL should be released next week (Tuesday) on various platforms for $15… This is one of the most anticipated game for me.

ITB_main_animation2

Looks nifty. Added to my wishlist so I’ll get a notification.

No word on console or mobile release for this? Seems odd with the success FTL had on various platforms. Heck, it almost looks like a DS game, visually.

Yeah, I’d definitely prefer to play this on mobile, so hopefully that winds up happening.

Apparently they are going to turn their attention to other platforms once the initial launch is done, according to Nintendo Life. Definitely looking forward to this on Switch, more thoughts in other thread

Jason Rohrer’s new game releases today

http://onehouronelife.com/

One Deck Dungeon entered early access.

But not knowing the game and merely looking at the screenshots, it seems it may be meant for tablets and phones (and I guess there is no EA there).

I read the website and it sounded like Tales in the Desert on cocaine. I am watching a stream right now, and wow, this is so grim!(and the streamer’s lack of wit isn’t helping)

Oh man this game looks cool but I hate hate hate the “guy with a mic making mouth noises” sound “design”.

It doesn’t feel like that to me. As you can tell from their Sentinels of the Multiverse adaptation, Handelabra is pretty focused on developing for the PC. If there’s a tablet version of One-Deck Dungeon underway, I wouldn’t guess it from this early access build.

That said, I think this is a terrible fit for a videogame port. The charm of the tabletop game isn’t the gameplay so much as the tactile pleasure of chucking around a bunch of dice and then arranging them onto a little puzzle. Doing it in a videogame feels like a step down. Also, the current build has none of the character progression, which is a fundamental part of the tabletop game.

-Tom

I wasn’t understanding the need to seemingly drag and drop precisely dices shown in the video, so that was what that was about! Thank you for the explanations.

I wonder how he’s going to go with the whole “adding new stuff to stay ahead of players’ position in the tech tree” thing. And how long that will go on for.

I guess that progression time must be fixed/known, so he knows how much stuff he’ll need to add. It says ‘100 new craftable objects added every week’.

From the look of the stream, he shouldn’t have much issue for now, as the world looks like a freaking graveyard spawned out of some Howard’s book XD
I am wondering if there are various servers, although that would kill the purpose, I guess?

Looks like one server but people can make their own if they download the source bundle:

The price also includes downloads of all future updates and a lifetime account on the main game server that I am running.

The source bundle includes the editor and server software, allowing you to set up and run your own server or even leverage the engine to make your own game.