Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Announced for PC and Switch. A card-based mashup between a battler (like Slay the Spire) and a tile-based dungeon exploration game where you use the cards to do things like create new pathways .

I saw Cohh playing this today and it looks fun as heck.

That showed up on the splash screen of Steam app yesterday, I thought it looked pretty awesome. Have to check out what Cohh thought of it.

So this game tie in for the movie Geostorm got ported over to Steam and its apparently pretty good.

And Graveyard Keeper has entered Alpha!

There is fishing in game, so we know it will be awesome.

Just watched a short video of SplatterCatGaming playing Moonlighter. He described it as a better version of Recettear. The visual style in the dungeon reminds me of the Binding of Isaac.

Here’s the video I watched. If you’re not familiar with him, SplatterCat plays a lot of indie games, so he’s good for finding out about what’s coming down the pike.

I find that hard to be true, but if it is (or if it’s even close to being true), then I’m all over Moonlighter the minute it’s out.

Persist in your language endeavour, and you shall be rewarded. Recettear addicting factor, without the obnoxious ARPG parts!

(stick away from the horribly botched pseudo-translation works released on Steam though).

ほしい! ありがとうございます!

Is the name of the game/studio really “Dogs and Cats”?

BTW, I should mention that I really enjoyed the Recettear ARPG parts. ;)

“Cats and Dogs”, please.

Their world building began with freeware light first person RPGs in the Wizardry vein, and they quickly evolved into a formula that Kairo later exploited of management games, which are basically the more involved prototypes of what would become the clickr genre.
They gained renown with a freeware, a simple yet quite deep shop simulation. It was so successful it benefited from commercial DS and iOS releases (which are basically the same as the freeware version).
Since then they have released a lot of variations based upon that number juggling/light story theme and made a living out of it. Sadly, for the last couple of years, they have been trying to include weird mechanics like slot machines or match-3s, unsuccesful tries in my opinion that make those more recent games a tedious experience. But since you liked ARPG parts, maybe you’ll enjoy those portions as well!

Now I’m curious. Since the name is “inu to neko”, I assumed dogs (inu) and (to) cats (neko). Why “Cats and Dogs” then?

I picked up Raft off Steam yesterday. Played for five hours straight. I seriously love this game. Something about being out in the open ocean, trying to survive while a shark is tearing up your raft, greatly appeals to me. The game itself runs beautifully, considering it’s an early access title. I encountered no crashes, and the menu’s and crafting are fairly intuitive. I played solo but you can also invite a friend for some co-op.

It might be sensible to wait to pick this up since it’s EA and not currently on sale. But I’m not a sensible person and bought it anyway. :) I want to support this developer and keep this game going!

Haven’t watched that one yet (saw it yesterday) but Splatty is fun to watch and Moonlighter has had my eye for months.

I think you’re right. Idiomatically (afaik, which admittedly is not that far) if you want to say getting along like cats and dogs it’s いぬとさる - dogs and monkeys.

It’s always Cats and Dogs. What sort of a dog person must you be to state the contrary.

俺は犬人じゃないよ!

Please don’t laugh at my Japanese. Still learning. ;)

I don’t know if I believe that either but if it’s close, I’m in.

Anybody playing Egypt: Old Kingdom? It looks lovely. And there is a demo.

Marble Age and Bronze Age were good games, so the company has good roots.

Looks interesting, apparently around 3 hours long…