Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Speaking of Convoy, it’s in a Steam bundle with Landinar for $20 (33% discount): https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/9186/Convoy_Collection/

Sold.

Surely you mean Shadow Warrior 2?

Six of one…

-Tom

If you subscribe to Humble Monthly, you can get a sneak peek built of a game called Forager, a kind of survival crafting game with a cute look and a stripped down resource system. It plays pretty well and seems like it could go pretty deep system-wise.

The new game from the makers of Love You To Bits (the semi-sequel from the same guys but different studio to one of my favorite dead mobile games, Tiny Thief).

Bring You Home. Looks a lot like Love You To Bits.

http://www.bringyouhomegame.com/

I don’t think I’ve brought up Geneshift in this thread. It’s a top-down shooter reminiscent of Grand Theft Auto 2 with a single player/co-op campaign, multiplayer, amazing bots and a new mini battle royale mode. The dev recently added a challenge system as well.

It’s currently on sale too, and it’s amazing. Seriously amazing.

Is it worth playing in single-player, Brian? Seems like it’s mostly multiplayer focused (which is a great idea for this style of game–don’t get me wrong–but I probably wouldn’t play it much).

Oh yeah, it has a lengthy campaign that can be done single player or co-op, and all the multiplayer modes have fantastic bots.

I read an article about Simmiland. Anyone tried it? It’s (presumably) in the mold of Populous and Black & White, except much shorter and with a card drafting component that has you getting points at the end of your game to spend on unlocking more cards to add to your deck for later playthroughs (kind of like the shop in For the King I guess). Looks interesting and it’s only $5 on Steam. Might try it out over the weekend, of course it might have to wait a few weeks with the new Smash Bros. coming out.

Yes! It’s kind of adorable so far, but I’ve only futzed around with it a little. I haven’t even spent my stars to unlock cards yet.

-Tom

I bought and played it too. Its charming. Its one of those play and lose to build out your options for the next run kind of game. Unusual in a sim so it is worth mentioning in case you dont like that.

Its fun, my only complaint really is I would have liked the ability to name my people or at else make it something gender neutral.

The NZ developed Ashen is out now!

It’s doing some interesting things with player characters assuming the roles of NPCs within a Dark Souls-style formula:

Take one of the very first characters you meet, a moustached pipe-smoking chap called Jokell. At first, he’s your regular AI-controlled NPC who helps you clear out the enemies in an area that becomes your town hub. When he joins your town, he’s still behaving like most NPCs, standing in one spot and operating as quest giver.

But once you take up a quest, Jokell accompanies you, and it’s here that control cedes from the programming to another player. On the flipside, from that other player’s perspective, they’re still in control of their own protagonist while it’s you controlling Jokell. “You’ll both think you’re the hero when you’re playing with each other. It’s quite an interesting technology to get players to unknowingly roleplay,” Bradley explains.

It’s almost an asymmetrical form of multiplayer in terms of how a quest is experienced. Think of a single-player game where you’re partnered with an AI companion – they might be a veteran mentor you’re following, or vice versa. In either case, these relationship dynamics are predetermined. In Ashen, you’re basically playing both the hero and the support in parallel, which can make for an unpredictable dynamic in a quest, since you’re matched to another player anonymously each time.

It should be hitting Steam sometime soon, too.
https://store.steampowered.com/wishlist/profiles/76561197973886620/

That’s probably a non-issue for me, especially considering it’s supposed to be a relatively short game. I’m hoping it will scratch a similar itch for me as The Curious Expedition does, only in a different genre.

Aw, so happy to see Human Head’s early access launch for Survived By being announced at the Game Awards.

Rake in Grass’ Jets’n’Guns 2 has been released on early access, Windows only for now. It is scheduled for release this time, next year.

The updated, expanded edition of Pixeljam’s lovely Gamma Bros is sadly aborted, but what was done is now available as freeware.

@Left_Empty gifted me this and I have to say its pretty darn good! Love the interactivity of the puzzles and the fact that stuff has to be found in different areas of the level you are on.

It’s GRIS-day!

We had a damn good week for indie games. In the period of a week, we had

Dusk
Gris
Below
Book of Demons

In fact it seems to me that sites that are already having their “best xx of 2018” lists are making a mistake, by forgetting these games.

And Kingdom: Two Crowns!