Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Turns out that Baba is You might be Turing complete.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqrh1m

I suspected it for a long time…

Oh thanks for this! Love Dark Future (GW’s Car Wars for those who dont know)

Just thought I’d drop this here-

https://www.echodoggames.com/

Their game is an rpg deckbuilder where the main thrust of the gameplay is not combat, but conversation. I love the art style, and I am excited about applying these ideas to a nonviolent game space.

Dark Future looks really interesting. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

You might want to check out some of the reviews for Dark Future before buying. Sounds like it wasn’t that great of a translation from the physical game and may have a repetitive campaign. But, I hope they are wrong, because I freaking love Car Wars.

I watched some gameplay footage a couple of weeks ago and I’d certainly want to see more before buying it. It is a lane-based concept, with sort of a bullet-time-esque feel to it (time slows down when you are making tactical decisions). I like the idea, but in practice, I’m not sure it is actually fun.

Oh its not turn based? Eeek. Yeah that would be no good. Thanks for the heads up both! @Misguided

I’m not positive. I don’t know if you can run out of time or they just mad it look that way to have a more action feel to it.

Ive picked this up (and Warhammer Quest II) in the Steam GW sale.

Dark Future is one of my all time favourite settings, the novels are my favourite of all my cyberpunk/urban fantasy books. I didnt play the game (but we played Car Wars in the 80s) but Ive read and re-read the original and new novels and for me its up there with 40k and its peers in the cyberpunk world, with the more British dark humour and 80s references perfect for me.

So far the game seems a bit basic from a gfx and story POV, but isnt really like anything else i have and has me intrigued and wanting to play more.

I see what you did there.

Do not let this dissuade you. The slo-mo is slo enough that this it might as well be turn-based.

-Tom

I’ll keep it on my Wishlist then. Between Thea 2 and Battle Brothers, I won’t be even thinking about buying this for a while. Hopefully, we’ll continue to hear positive things about the game.

Hmm thanks. If you think its even vaguely interesting then thats a big plus in my eyes.

Looks like House Flipper is getting some back yard DLC.

The description makes me think of the Fitz and Fool series by Robin Hobb a little.

Are there interesting victorian or craftsman style houses in this game? I’m not interested in renovating some McMansion or whatever. Screenshots on Steam are 90% interior shots.

Not really. The elements that make up the houses are all indentical (i.e. standardized). The differences are mosrtly in floor plan. It’s a fun time waster, but not really for the frustrated designer/architect.