Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Pokemon Snap! in a “shitty future” version of New Zealand, anyone?

Are any of these worth knowing about?

Yeah I’d like it if someone maybe could flag like one of these and talk about its redeeming qualities.

What’s the buzz on this one?

We used to have a “Little Indie Games Worth Playing” thread where the idea was someone who played a game recommended it and talked about why it was good. It got collapsed in with this speculative thread and, yes, I’m still bitter. It’s like a game magazine combining their Reviews and Previews section.

@Nightgaunt you’re not alone in that, my friend.

Yeah I’d rather hear about someone’s playing experience, not their hopes and dreams… although I am pleased they have hopes and dreams.

I appreciate this thread and definitely find new stuff to wishlist from it. But it sounds like there’s at least a few of us here who would like to unlock the old thread for a more curated review-type recommendation thread. May I petition @tomchick or @Telefrog to consider reopening it? I don’t think it’ll hurt this thread, which gets plenty of daily traffic.

Also open to hearing from those who think we’re better off with one thread.

+1 regret at the loss of the other, clearly superior thread which could also have encompassed upcoming games we were excited about. If there’s a particular game that starts to dominate discussion just take it to its own thread, which tends to happen anyway.

Anyway, having said that, here’s a Little Indie Game Worth Knowing About (Probably)…

Also Aussie!

I don’t think it was locked, was it? I think it was folded into this one thread because the differences between the two threads wasn’t clear. At least to me. But if there’s a locked thread – I couldn’t find one – let me know and I’ll unlock it.

Otherwise, I’d say if you find a game you think is worth playing, make a thread about it! If it’s worth playing, it’s worth talking about someplace people know it’s being talked about.

-Tom

This is the thread I was thinking of. Maybe it’s not technically locked.

I like the idea of starting a new thread in theory, but let’s say I want to talk about this little free game jam game that is a time management adventure puzzle that takes twenty minutes to play through… I bet it would get more eyes and just about as much conversation as it needs in an indie games thread.

This could be that thread, but especially lately it tends to be a clearinghouse of games one of us stumbled on (or swept Steam for) that might conceivably be interesting to someone.

Ah, right, that one. I thought it was just redundant with this thread, which was more active, so I actually thought I was doing the forum a favor by focusing things. I mean, I still don’t understand the distinction between a game worth knowing about and a game worth playing. Aren’t all games worth playing worth knowing about? And doesn’t that mean the thread for games worth knowing about but NOT worth playing is just a thread about bad games? And if you want to call attention to a cool game, movie, TV show, or book, why hide it in a catch-all thread when you can give it a provocative thread title to draw in more readers? Because once someone loses interest in a catch-all thread, they’re never coming back and they’re never going to see whatever games worth playing/know about are brought up.

Anyway, the other thread is unlocked. You guys have at it!

-Tom

The distinction is “this looks like it might be cool but I haven’t played it” versus “I have played this and it is cool”.

Thanks, Tom. Those are fair points.

How about changing the name of that thread to something like

Indie Games I’ve Played (that are interesting)

So which thread should be used to post "has anyone played this indie game that looks cool? Oh dear…

If it looks cool, but you can’t personally recommend it, I’d say use this thread!

It’s funny how the original post kind of lays it all out:

I’m also amused I was still complaining about RPS 7 years ago.

Why do they need this to be early access if it is using Quake 1’s engine?