Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

So you’re buying something you hadn’t thought about that you don’t really need in order to get a discount on something else you’re buying?

Do you know my wife?

Monster Slayers is… AMAZING!

Wow, I’m having so much fun getting my ass kicked.

One note, patch notes indicate they have fixed backing out of reward choices canceling your chance to get a reward, but it happened to me with the captain.

You can grab Monster Slayers plus Vertical Drop Heroes and Reverse Crawl for free for only $6.88 (with SPRING10 code).

So, I’ve tried all the classes but Rogue and Wizard I think. Every time I think I’m on a roll, I get annihilated, often near the start of the second dungeon. Played about three hours today and can’t recall the last time I enjoyed a game so much.

One thing that had concerned me in videos I watched is that there didn’t seem to be a ton of interactivity between cards, but that definitely starts to change further in.

Good point. But I blame the dang advertisers for understanding my pysche… :)

The Rogue is a really good class if you like interplaying cards.

I can usually get a ways into the second dungeon, and I was battling some Skeleton King as my second boss, beat him and was then surprised to see what happened next. Let’s just say it wasn’t a pleasant surprise.

Patch Notes:

v.1.0.2

• You can now cancel Upgrade/Delete options from Captains, Healers and Altars
  • Rogues nerfed: Chain Strike/Reposition now costs 1 AP each (was previously free to play)
  • Status boxes changed to tooltip style: by default they show only a basic summary, but you can mouseover for full details
  • Upgrading a card now describes its new upgraded effect as well
  • HP orb shows max hp in smaller letters below current HP
  • Purge Sins now does the correct amount of damage
  • F12 now takes screenshots in the map screen as well

The rogue needed a nerf for sure (tried him a little bit ago). Not sure Chain attack is the problem, though…

If you get enough daggers, you might start the deadly routine, but you’ll need to invest a bit into AP for that. The fact is, in the end game, there will be still be that card that gives you 9AP for 5 and should make the deadly rotation still feasible… We’ll see!

Picked it up and am enjoying it. After defeating the first boss, there seemed to be a big jump in difficult. First fight I had after killing the 1st boss, I got slaughtered.

Yeah, the training wheels really come off after the first area. It definitely helps though once you start to get decent gear in each slot, which helps with later runs, and the various trait upgrades. I always like it when roguelikes are structured so your defeats help make you stronger, and this definitely does that.

I think a big mistake I have been doing is taking more cards, as opposed to leveling up cards and deleting weak cards. I think I have been weakening my hands by taking every card they offer me.

Yeah, that can definitely get you into trouble, but sometimes the cards you get are so good. And I’ve barely gotten into the third dungeon (once) so I’m sure there’s even better stuff later. I delete a card every time a healer shows. With captains, I try to upgrade , but will take a +3 AP early. If you see a sage, they will duplicate any one card in your hand, which can be crazy good depending on what you have.

Taking AP never seemed like it was worth it. I rarely have a turn where I have cards I can’t play because of being out of AP. That might have something to do with having too many weak cards though.

It should be worth it after the 1st dungeon when you have more cards in your hand.

I’m only halfway through the first dungeon after the tutorial but really digging this. I’m sure glad they added the mid-dungeon save. I would never be able to play it otherwise.

Is Poison 6 bugged or WAD? The text says the effect is cut in half for every card played, but it seems to be counting down by ones.

Poison is supposed to decrease by a single point each card you (or your opponent, if he is the one being poisonned) play.

Is this game good enough to have its own thread?

I think Poison may be the only effect that diminishes by 1 each round. All the other elemental effects are halved, I think.

I think so.