Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Tiny Islands On Steroids now feels like a nearmiss for very exciting conversations.

Just wait for Alliance of the Sacred Suns

File Under Kingdom does look neat. It’s out but doesn’t have any reviews yet. Someone needs to fix that!

I am playing File Under Kingdom:

The tutorial is well done with one caveat which I will get to in a moment. It teaches you tile by tile in a progression but it also raises the challenge a bit as you go so it is not a given you will be successful each puzzle. I had to restart two puzzles.

I like the artwork and I only made a mistake once choosing the wrong building (I mixed up the Windmill with the Hunter Shack but they are not next to each other on the stamp section so I do not believe I will repeat).

The help screen is very well done. I found myself going to it several times for the various bonuses but if you play for a bit you will remember most of them

The one criticism I have is that I tried to save and you lose all your progression. The game warns you but I thought it meant on the current puzzle but it brought me back to the first tutorial puzzle. Not the end of the world as it is a teaching tutorial but i would have thought for such a neat causal type game it should let me save wherever I want even if it is a tutorial. This is a minor gripe.

I think our @Sonoftgb will love this game!

My one criticism about FUK (from watching videos) are those stamps! I don’t love the stamp imagery. The icons seem hard to read on the low-contrast brown of the stamps, as opposed to the light parchment color of the board.

I’m curious if Tom has any impressions. I guess what I’m saying is… FUK: U, Chick?

I’m interested, but how long is the tutorial? Lengthy ones that prevent saving kind of kills the deal for me

I do not think it is too long. I started late at night and needed to go to bed. If you start at a reasonable time you should be fine. Roughly each stamp is added one at a time. Near the end when you can buy additional map sections is could take you a little longer mainly for thinking it through.

Another time loop game I missed: Vessels – Buried Treasure

If it has some good solution to the problem of repeating stuff like my favourite dude in The Forgotten City this sounds like it could be neat.

And it would look so nice in my Steam library next to

Did you finish that game?

I got about 6 hours in and stuck on one of the fluid puzzles.

I finished it way back in the day. I tried to re-play it more recently, but didn’t get all the way through it.

That looks like a good puzzle platformer, I don’t think I’ve played one of those since Tetrobot & Co

Vessel is great, and really unique. A pretty cool display of fluid tech, too. I never did finish it… Got a bit flummoxed by some of the later puzzles. I wonder if it was the same place lordkosk was stuck…

Nobody Saves the World is in Gamepass, fyi

This is a touch preemptive, but I’m really jazzed for it: Strange Horticulture comes out tomorrow. RPS and PC Gamer both put up strong reviews for it today. I really liked the demo. WOO weird plants and freaky freaks!

Might be an extremely rare day-one purchase for me, depending on the price.

I just played the demo for this one. I really like the atmosphere and having to figure out plants and locations without having things spelled out too explicitly, and there appears to be an overall plot that makes things more interesting.

It’s a bit curious the name of the plant is already known when the customer comes in with a request. I feel like it would have been more fitting if you had to figure out what to prescribe for their situation. The one downside while playing was that there were two times where it looked like two plants fit the available information for a request, so I just had to guess and pick one. One of those was narrowed down because I had identified the other plant already, but that doesn’t sound like the way to solve these? Not sure if I missed something.

Anyways, pretty cool game. I will probably pick it up sometime. One of the devs in their Steam forum estimated it was about 5-6 hours of content.

edit: Love the black cat. I would totally play a cat petting simulator.

Right clicking on a plant puts it in the examination menu (middle option on the left) which often has additional information. Mostly this covers smell and touch, in addition to the visual indicators for the sprite.
This helped me solve the visual toss ups in the demo.