Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Finished the tutorial but in the campaign it seems you still can’t save mid-map. Tell me I’m missing something, because otherwise, back it goes.

Ah thanks, I’ll have to try all the tools out more carefully next time.

If anyone is getting this right away, I see a price of $10.79 on GMG with their VIP pricing. I’m probably going to wait a bit since I have a ton of games to play especially since I just picked up Game Pass.

I didn’t try during mid map. I kept losing and left after my last attempt.

One thing I didn’t realize is that when you sell a map tile it resets the items you are trying to gather. I hadn’t realized that aspect of gameplay.

I played a bunch of hours and I can say I like it.
There are some missed opportunities but it is a relaxing and atmospheric experience.
The Papers, Please inspired clerical work works well. Plants have various amounts of identifying hints, occasionally hidden or clever ones. The other kind of hint based puzzles mostly feel good to solve as well.

It doesn’t quite reach great status but I would recommend it if you enjoyed the demo.

Dev says it can’t be done. Pity

Really enjoyed this. Maybe a bit too easy and linear, but it didn’t stop me from playing through it in a few sessions.

Plus you spend a lot of time poring over a paperback fantasy map solving cryptic geographic riddles, and I would play a game that was just that.

Darn, me too! I love studying Japanese game maps just for that usually.
Onto the wishlist!

Empire of Ember looks like a fantasy Battle Zone, which immediately grabs my attention. However, skimming the reviews, even the positive ones are saying it should not have been released yet!

Yep, I’m really enjoying Strange Horticulture too. Like you say, it unfolds in a pretty straightforward way but there’s always interesting things to figure out, and the world is evocative.

I played through Strange Horticulture over a couple of days. I liked the chill vibe. It’s basically a hidden object game chopped up into little pieces with a pretty (though sometimes clunky) UI. I was sad it has multiple endings, because I have no desire to play through it again. It reminded me a bit of Obra Dinn, but wasn’t nearly as good. Not sad I played it, but not unreservedly recommended either.

This just dropped from a developer whom I really enjoy. I LOVED their last game, Beast Agenda 2030. This one is a mix of stealth, combat and hacking, and so far it’s very fun.

Just a heads up that Cyber Cult City is one of those very early access games without most of its content and still at least a year out. From the Steam page:

“Basically the structure of the game is all there. All that is left is to add a lot more content and fix bugs.”

-Tom

Sure, but he’s brought through his previous two games through early access to release, and they were both really good, especially the last one, so I’ve little fear he’ll bring this to release as well. What I played felt pretty solid already.

That’s all good and well, but since you didn’t reveal that it’s an early access release, I thought I’d save others the disappointment if they click your link. Some of us care about that sort of thing, you know. :)

-Tom

Well apologies, I meant no deceit in not mentioning it wasn’t an early access title. I thought it was clear enough on the store page, but fair enough.

I have a mental block against buying and playing EA games so thanks for the heads up.

Confession Time:

My old brain sees EA and thinks Electronic Arts. So for the longest time I thought people were refusing to play their games!

Hidden Deep arrives into early access.

The wait is indeed long, I just noticed this got a decent content update late last year, but still seems a long way from 1.0

It’s an interactive story more than a game, and I’m pretty sure it was meant to be played around christmas, but I loved it.