Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

The Frog Fractions guy has a new tiny adventure game out today:

Frog Fractions fandom aside, I’m excited to check it out because it is supposed to be created in PICO-8, which I also use to make goofy games with my kids. He has provided the PICO-8 cart and bonus source materials on his Mastodon feed:

I really do expect this to just be a little adventure game, but there’s always the possibility that this is Frog Fractions: Infinity.

So, this is great. Get it y’all.

Yeah, I’m enjoying it too. Nostalgia!!

GIYF?

Hahahahahaha yes

Moonring looks awesome. Those playing, would you consider it a classic roguelike or more of a RPG?

GIYFIF (Get it you fucks, its free)

I think only the dungeons are rogue-like. The game autosaves when you enter a dungeon and, if you fail, it’ll start you over with a newly-generated dungeon. The rest of the game including towns and the overworld are handmade.

Why is this game free? I want to pay somebody something for it!

I think maybe the intent was to ask whether there was permadeath?

That’s redundant!

Nope, no perma-death.

Last Train Home looks very interesting.

Personally, I am sorry that it is designed to be played as an RTS, we’ll see how good the pause function is. And it remains to be seen the extent to which all these choices matter. (Would a game dev doing a train-centered game allow the game to be figuratively as well as literally on rails?) But this has the potential to be a great game. Will definitely try the demo in October.

I played it a bit yesterday. It kind of reminds me of Caves of Qud with saves turned on. Fixed overworld with procedural dungeons. So far it’s pretty sweet.

Islands of the Caliph is out now, it’s less than $10, and there’s a demo. Old school first-person real-time RPG with keyboard only controls (hell yeah).

Oh I saw that on Twitter the other day and love the look of it. I only have some experience with those kinds of games, namely Eye of the Beholder and Dungeons of Avalon on the Amiga.

My favourite strange games unearther unsteamer pointed me toward Mini Continental Saga.

First, it’s in Early Access, and this is because the author needs a whole lot of help I guess, as if this inscrutable game about pushing tribes around in a more or less direct manner has got a tutorial, it doesn’t cover some aspects of the interface that are capital. This is sort of a Black and White, set on a small board. And your beast can’t communicate or move.
That’s because you are an obelisk, only able to affect somewhat the world in a limited range around it. To do so, you use cards fueled by one of three faith ressources (I will call them mysteries, esoterics and mystics) you can gather over time, or generate through more or less gentle means.
I’m doing a terrible job of describing it. The game is a sort of sandbox with a lot of wacky elements that conflict with each others, over a boardgame layer of trying to actually got something done on the map.
The game features a mission mode which are pretty much puzzles. Quite complex ones, even early on. But they do teach you a few things.
Your progress allows you to unlock new card to build a power deck with.
Anyway I put it there for the fond of weird, pseudo board gamey things around here. I spent two hours on it climbing slowly the steps of the Chick Parabola, but I have no idea where I am.
It also got a soothing soundscape of natural sounds. A bit what you’d hear in 90s golf games, I guess. Plus the lions. And dragons.

Send help.

As a bonus, the game is mostly playable with a gamepad. And on Macintosh, too, apparently.

That does look terribly interesting!

Looks interesting. Wishlisted.

Demo now available on Steam Next Fest

This looks pretty cool - kind of a 2D, Dead Space inspired Metroid-like (I guess I’d say Metroidvania, but that seems to inspire disgust in certain crowds). I’m kind of a sucker for sci-fi/horror, I’m sure I’ll pick this one up when it releases:

That’s a bold choice for the music, I like it!