Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Does it have async multiplayer?

Apparently not. I can understand why, since the round robin process of feeding your species would really slow things down if you were passing around turns among players.

But that and the lack of a rules reference are a pretty big strike against it given how good the rest of it is.

-Tom

Ah, makes sense I guess. Thanks.

[PC]: Onto the game…We will be posting this interview along with our review on release day, so readers can hop over there to check out the details, but let’s just say we’re impressed with the feature list of Evolution. Having said that, we will, naturally, harp on the one missing feature…asynchronous online play. This feature is always a discussed topic in the community, could you elaborate on why the decision was made not to include this as an option?

[SR]: We’ve heard this one loud and clear, and Asynchronous (and pass and play) is coming soon, likely a few weeks! We didn’t plan for it originally as we thought the game wouldn’t play as well asynchronously; we were worried the feeding part would be slow. We’ve got a design now though where the AI can assist with feeding and speed it up, if desired. We also focused a ton on ensuring real time games are fast, including adding the ability for folks to act early and take their turn before their actual turn comes, without showing these plays to opponents. This allows folks to play simultaneously and speed things up. We assumed the fast real time games would be preferred, but we’ve heard our community and know some people just prefer to play async, so we’ll get it in there!

Great news! I wondered if there might be some way to just push through the feeding in a more simplified manner, similar to the way the Through the Ages port pushes through colony bids.

Now if they’d just provide some way to reference the rules, they’ll be all set!

-Tom

Bring on the Tomsplaining.

Any opinions on Sundered? It had good review when it was released. I kind of remember some people weren’t super hot on some aspects of the game, but it seems it had a good number of updates.

I love it, but then again, I’m early in the game. But of the recent metroidvanialikes, it’s the one that got me hooked the most.

Yeah, Sundered is all right. The thing that bothers me the most is that enemies ignore walls entirely, whereas you cannot. So it’s possible to be shot repeatedly by foes that aren’t even on the same screen as yourself, and which you cannot reach because they’re behind a locked door.

It is annoying, but if I recall correctly, you always get a bit of warning. Like from the sniper guys who point a laser that gets brighter before it fires. But then there are the little flying guys who just run through walls and you have to wait for them to come back where you can hit them. I’m sure it’s an intentional way to differentiate the enemies, but I can totally understand how it might be annoying to some folks.

But, yeah, I like Sundered as far as Metroidvanias go.

-Tom

Edit: this link was to Space Expand, which has been disabled on Steam.

Is that an endorsement or a “this looks cool” post?

I just thought it looked appealing.

Nice find!

Surely an endorsement would be in that other indie thread? I think if someone posted a recommendation here, or a ‘this looks interesting’ there, Brian gets angry and shouts at you for crossing the streams.

@KristiGaines look at this! LOOK!

Lk that is a beautiful pixel game. Not Children of Morta pixel quality but … is there gameplay here?

44 different endings!

This out now, loved the first one!

I almost bought it last evening, but the store page is so barebones that I couldn’t find out how many puzzles are in there.

I would guess 31. There is 33 achievements, one is for finishing all puzzles, another one 99.9% of players have so you probably get it for opening the game. The other 31 are for finishing different puzzles on high difficulty.