Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I don’t know what an Inkle is but you had me at “space archeologist.” Bonus points if I get to say, “It belongs in a museum!”

Oddly enough, Supraland includes this in a humorous way.

From the developers of Out There. Too bad it’s Early Access or I’d be on this like stink on a chimpanzee.

Oh that’s what that is, I had a 25% off coupon from Steam for that game.

Interestingly, there are folks who like to take your artifacts and “archive” them (maybe space-talk for putting them in a museum?) and I usually am like, “Nah, I still need that, thanks.” Just keep them all in the cabin of my space sailing ship.

I last played this about a year ago when it was in very Early Access, and at the time got a strong Majesty vibe. 1.0 hit today, and I don’t know if it’s changed any but I intend to find out.

The premise reminds me of the 90s game “NetStorm: Islands At War”

There’s 0 in-game footage in those videos and the screenshots are all character portraits, or something? I have 0 idea what the player actually “does in the game”. So, meh, pass.

Games only get one chance to draw me in and if they can’t even be bothered to take decent media of their game, why should I be bothered to learn about it and play it when there’s 4000 other games released this year?

I have never heard of this game, but now I have to find out everything about it. I’ve been looking for a modern Majesty-type game for a little while. I hope this sucker delivers!

I can see that. This:

is more directly a spiritual sequel to NetStorm, though. With the help of the original developers.

There are a bunch of gameplay videos on Youtube, as well as under the “Videos” tab on the Steam page… 30 seconds of searching would have turned them up.

It looks like they even kept the same main menu that’s awkwardly at a different resolution to the rest of the game. Now that’s dedication! :P

30 seconds is too much. Especially as I have to click “community hub” and then “videos”. If they can’t be bothered to put a relevant video in the video section on the Steam page – which is quite literally the first thing a prospective buyer sees when visiting a game’s page, then I can’t be bothered to go and find out about it.

Contrast it to the videos and images on:

Some of the guys on the Spire of Sorcery discord were talking about this one. I’ll be interested if anyone posts impressions, and first chance I’ll watch some 1.0 gameplay.

Not if you’re really interested in the game. Not for me, anyway, and I’m guessing I have a lot less time left on the planet than you do. :)

But how do I know of I’m interested or not?! A game needs to sell itself to me :)

So, an update on Heaven’s Vault, which I just finished.

I mentioned a lot of shagginess on the edges. I would say as the game progresses, you see a lot more of it. Piecing together certain chunks of text becomes unnecessarily fussy later on, as you have more words (probably seems counterintuitive, but it’s true). The openness of the story and of the environments you come to really restricts. And I never totally understood the economy of the game–how artifacts help you find locations and why you should translate things in the first place. I mean, it was fun to do, but I can’t tell where it helped me to have my terms right and where it didn’t matter.

The worldbuilding is very cool for the most part. There’s definitely a feeling of things being rushed at the end, so the game couldn’t totally do justice to the vision it has for its world. There were a few really evocative story beats, but at the same time, not many of them really felt like they paid off. I think they should have made the game slightly shorter in order to beef up and polish some of the later content.

I don’t regret the 12-ish hours I put into it, but I’m now having a harder time recommending this. Inkle needed a little bit better structure to their game and much better UI design. There are all the elements of an incredible game here, and they fulfill that promise in spots. I think in many ways they bit off more than they could chew.

Re: Driftland

Opening the options menu from the main menu locks up the game. Clicking on dialogue boxes to advance the campaign sometimes locks up the game. Both require an alt-tab to get out and close.

Purchase at your own risk.

LK tried Islanders – I am not sure ultimately what his opinion was. Looked kinda elegant to me. And sunny.

Yea, this kid does a bit of complaining about a prominent crash bug. I’ll be watching for a fix, the game is wishlisted and on my radar.

Free short game.