Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Because you love us!

Not as much as the space games.

For all the praise Celeste gets, I’ve bounced off of it a few times. Then, I finally decided to commit, only to get a few hours in and hit the levels where the other dude is chasing you around. That made it a perma hard pass for me. It was stressful enough without that additional time pressure and was pretty much the opposite of what I consider fun when that was introduced.

So if I don’t care for multi and just want to play single player, I have to pay twice as much? Is that right?

It’s confusing because it says “Buy Geneshift (with DLC Included for Free)” but the DLC has the same price as the base game.

Yeah I bought it on the recent Switch sale. Don’t much like it, and haven’t even got to the part you mention! :)

I’m honestly not entirely sure how the demo thing works. I know if you want the campaign and what not, you have to pay for the full version, but I’m not sure if you can play with bots with the demo.

Anyone else played Neo Atlas 1469?

This game is stabbing hard at my buttons. It often misses, but at least it knows where they are…

The remarkable (positive or negative) things about the game:

1. Creepy animated 3D cherubs on the screen ALWAYS.
  2. One-of-a-kind exploration system where if you don’t like what your explorers find, you Disapprove of their report and then you can send them out again for a different result. “Africa is too pointy. Try again.”
  3. Tutorial intro that’s about four times too long.
  4. Unique trading system where you have to figure out for yourself what goods combine into more valuable advanced goods. But not enough actual combinations, from what I can tell. Also, you’re tightly limited on ships that can trade.
  5. No ship combat minigame to get dragged into. A plus for me, maybe a minus for you.
  6. Characters that are cute until they’re annoying.
  7. Aah, stop staring at me, cherubs!

I don’t want to compare this game to Seven Cities of Gold. It’s different in a million ways. But given the dearth of games like that, this might be the only thing that’s scratched that itch in a long time.

2 more to wishlist!

I’ve been playing American Fugitive. It feels a little broken. It seems like it is almost impossible to die and the cops are way too easy to get away from. Literally, you can rob a house, have the cops surround it and “arrest” you (“arrest” = dump you out of the door of the house on the ground), you stand up and just run a couple houses down and do it all again. They shoot at you but, they are shit for aim and you don’t take much damage.

I’ll play it more, but it isn’t that compelling so far.

I’m playing American Fugitive as well. Having a blast so far. Very GTA 1 and 2, which are my faves.

Regarding Neo Atlas 1469… I do not understand this thing about approving or disapproving your explorers’ map. Is this a game where you are figuring out whether the explorers are right? Or are you getting to change reality, like “I don’t want South America to be there, so it is not”? Either way, I am having trouble picturing this as a game mechanic. But I am intrigued.

Haven’t played, but as I understand it, the map is fluid in a given area until you accept a report. Once you do, that part of the map becomes fixed. If you don’t like what an expedition uncovered, you can scrap their findings and send out a new expedition, hoping for a different result.

Yeah, it is weird. @Misguided is right: You basically get to see the random coastline generated from an explorer’s expedition and you can decide if you want it to stay that way or you want to reject it and send another expedition to get a different version.

To be honest, I basically never rejected any maps, because I’m not sure there was enough critical differences that would make me say, “I don’t want that.” If I could see the towns and other landmarks that are in the space, it might make a difference, but as far as I could tell, you could only see the shape of the coastline. So maybe I could have been pickier and made it easier to round the cape of Africa, but given the sunk time, it never seemed worth it to gamble. Neat idea, maybe not a revolutionary execution.

I have read a little bit about the history of mapping, and there was a gradual, two steps forward one backward sort of progress towards getting territory mapped correctly. Even Europe itself. And progress was still being made until surprisingly recently (at least from the perspective of an old guy. My grandparents’ maps in school would have had serious deficiencies)

That is all fascinating to me, and i would love to see this incorporated into a game. But this game mechanic sounds downright crazy.

I admit this is a bit disappointing. I would have loved a feature where there was a ‘true’ map, and your expeditions revealed approximations of it, with varying degrees of accuracy. And the better your map, the better your success in other areas.

Come to think of it that could be a really neat idea if done well, or really frustrating.

Maybe, but that would have run completely counter to the nature of this game, which is built on the idea that the world is unknown until discovered. Would be a neat mode as one part of it, though.

Oh you’d absolutely have to build a game around the idea for sure. It doesn’t work otherwise.

I wanted to jump back since I was also mildly critical of Fell Seal, and I am also an odd person who won’t give up on these kinds of things unless they are actively bad. I’m up to 25 hours or so, and it has grown on me a decent bit. In particular, once I cranked the difficulty up and started thinking about how I could use the class system to come up with ways to beat the (now stacked-against-me) odds, the battles became a lot more appealing. I still think anyone who hasn’t played FFT or TO should, like, go do that first, but I would give Fell Seal at least a lukewarm recommendation to fans of this particular sub-genre who are starving for more games of the type.

Interstellar Transport Company has left early access.

I went ahead and tried Neo Atlas 1469. Gotta say, at this point I would give it the lowest grade I have ever, ever given a game.

Played for 2-3 hours, and I really don’t know whether this is still tutorial or not. Screen after screen of hellishly zero-value text. About as funny as a 6th grader telling the same long joke over and over and over. The game will not let me play the game, thinking I would prefer to hear these people and their “banter.” But after clicking through all those nonsense screens, I have pretty much forgotten any bits of directions that were included, so I probably wouldn’t be able to use the UI even if I had the patience to wait out the tutorial.

I cannot imagine the target audience for this design decision.

I mean, I like the basic idea of map exploration and trading, and I am more than willing to read meaningful content within a game, but I have lost all confidence that any of that is in the game.