Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

They are rogue like because you have only one life, but also because your upgrades/inventory are subject to the whims of an evil RNG. Therefore you will need to learn to adapt to whatever you find, or your one life will end prematurely.

Anyway, I’ve been playing this game a lot on my phone and it’s nice to see the developer here! This is currently my favorite of all the DreamQuest-likes. The main reason is that you choose a class, race, and magic specialty before your start, all of which affect your starting hand and the subsequent cards you draw. And the decks really do start to feel like various fantasy archetypes, sort of like a deck building version of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

For instance, I played an elven ranger with cards that added charges to a “quiver”. At the beginning of every turn, every quiver charge turns into an “arrow” card, which is a weak attack. But there are also cards that would give you a bonus to every attack that turn. So you could devastate enemies by preparing your quiver, waiting for the right card, and then letting loose a huge volley of arrows.

Conversely, my dwarven thief had penalties to magic, so I avoided filling my deck with useless spells. His dagger attacks were weak, but every attack let him draw another card. So he would kill stuff by chaining together stabby cards and buffs like poison.

Finally, the priest built up “favor” that granted a nearly endless supply of blocks. Coupled with one or two decent strong attacks and a steady source of healing, he ended up outlasting his enemies and walking away healthier than when he started.

And that’s less than half the classes. Warriors smash stuff, mages specialize in casting spells, monks can throw a flurry of basic attacks, druids and necros clog the opposing deck with minions, and I haven’t even tried the bard yet.

You aren’t really confined to one strategy either, on one replay I did well because I found some spells that would constantly force opponents to discard and/or negate their cards. There are also spells that damage someone who plays cards, takes away actions, etc. The race can be significant too. When I chose the dragon born once, I ended up mostly using their dragon breath to damage rather than the class mechanics.

Overall, this is definitely worth checking out.

Really? Quite high praise given some of the games that are out there.

@Andrew_Chia welcome! Great to have you here. I’ve been eyeing this one, but haven’t been playing much of anything because we are in the middle of getting ready to move (my computer isn’t even plugged in at the moment).

If you update the iOS version to play in landscape, I will buy it immediately.

People who are part of the community talking about their own stuff here is ok, particularly if asked about it, but they don’t want people using it as a bulletin board, so to speak (only popping in on occasion to pimp their own stuff).

So, stay awhile and listen, so to speak.

It’s cultural appropriation. :)

I’m really liking this too but damn that end boss fight is tough as hell. Are the ‘Black Border’ special edition cards actually able to be used in-game? I would assume so but I haven’t seen any of the 7 I’ve unlocked. Due to that, I don’t really get a good sense of game-to-game progression yet.

I love how different the classes have been so far. Played as a warrior (got to the end boss, died), mage (died before the first boss, tough start), rogue (died to the end boss), priest (died to the 1st boss I believe), and ranger (died to the 2nd boss).

The ranger was probably my favorite so far, though lack of mana really crippled me. Will have to figure out which path to take to grab some mana cards before I try the class again.

Just chiming in to agree, this one seems quite solid and well made. It’s available on phone, too!

Played it four times now. Lost on Lich as fighter, won as mage, lost on L7 as mage, won as fighter. A couple notes:

1. It could use a bit of copyediting - not a ton, but there’s some long word that starts with T on one of the interstitial pages that is misspelled that annoyed me, and I feel like there were others

2. At least on a phone, it’s easy to miss that the long-recharge skills have recharged; maybe a popup in addition to the icon lighting up would be nice.

3. half-orc fighters are really good. That game wasn’t at all close.

4. I don’t know if Magic Focus is too good, but in my two mage games I was trying to keep an eye out for strategies that wouldn’t depend on getting as many of those at as high level as possible, and didn’t see it. It does feel like it makes the first couple decisions you make easy, and it also really devalues large-damage spells (I have intentionally not upgraded Double Zap when I had nothing else to upgrade).

I think the ‘Black Border’ is just cosmetic.

Picked this up on android and really enjoying it.

Boy, I’m just entranced by the trailer for this “cozy management game about dying.” Hope it turns out as good as the trailer.

Awe yiss…

:D

why isn’t it BvB

I don’t know, a truly missed opportunity. Also no battle royal mode. :(

Internet winner, 7/10/19.

or a moba? I mean, kill the enemy Queen…

You can play with your honey…

You will truly be able to feel the sting of defeat in this game.

A lot of buzz around this game.

Sol Seraph for some reason looks interesting in a very retro way. Like a modern day Herzog Zwei. I’m not sure if it’s an indie game - it feels like an indie game but it’s made by Sega. It does have indie pricing.

The devs are an indie studio, mostly - ACE Team. And the trademark belongs to them, not SEGA. It’s published by SEGA, sure, but I think it classifies as indie.

I hope bee simulator comes with VR support.