Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

First I ever heard of it!

Look, I realize you may be unclear on the difference between alligators and crocodiles, but we didn’t tell you about that game because it doesn’t feature your preferred creature. Lern to herpetology n00b!

-Tom

You know when you see a single screenshot of a game for the first time, and it speaks to your very soul and you know, instantly, that the game is for you? Game love-at-first-sight?

Well I have that now!

The Untitled Goose Game has launched and is currently on-sale on the Epic Games Store.

Wait, its on PC? I thought it was Switch exclusive!

Yessir, it’s available for Mac, Windows, and the Switch.

Well that very much looks like a game that would be fun to play with a 6 year old.

Now to try and sneak it in the budget ;)

Has anybody played this?

I got an email about it from GOG, and the sales blub goes something like this:

When FTL meets Foundation… and Dune

Crying Suns is a tactical rogue-lite that puts you in the role of a space fleet commander as you explore a mysteriously fallen empire.

In this story rich experience inspired by Dune and Foundation , each successful run will uncover the truth about the Empire… and yourself as well.

Main Features

• Space exploration in a procedurally-generated universe
  • Tactical fights between battleships and their squadron fleets
  • More than 300 possible story events
  • A deep and dramatic storyline structured in 6 chapters
  • A dark and disturbing atmosphere inspired by our favorite S-F universes (Foundation, Dune, Battlestar Galactica)

Without knowing anything more about the game, everything in that list appeals to me, especially the part where the devs want me to think of this as FTL meets other stuff. But $25 indie games are a bit of a gamble, so, anybody have opinions?

Initial impressions are positive. I’ll have a video series up next week.

Having played the Steam demo, I’d say the description is accurate. It was so convincing and generous that I purchased the game after having explored only the initial system, so I have no idea how much more was left of it. Your best bet is to check out that demo.

I didn’t know about a demo. I will check that out tonight. 🍕

The Polish developed Synther looks like a PS1-era take on Deus Ex with some strong Syndicate vibes thrown in for good measure.

That looks fantastic. Thanks!

Nice.

@bobtree, you are so good at picking out interesting tidbits from all the dross! I don’t now how you do it, but keep it up.

-Tom

@tomchick Thanks. TLDR: I look at everything.

A couple years ago (early 2017) when the Steam release rate was really exploding, I stopped trusting game news sites to catch the interesting releases and started looking at all the new games on Steam. My wishlist grows 1 or 2 games per day on average (currently 1337, no joke, and 1020 owned, ~550 played on Steam, 5k ignored), and it’s fun to share the notable ones.

I also gave up on backlog guilt and completion-ism, and I started buying big piles of cheapies on sale, bundled, etc. I used to be seriously elitist about my purchases, but knowing it’s impossible to keep up with the release rate, I chose to support worthwhile games as patronage and celebrate the abundance. When my friends bemoan that there are “too many games”, I say there is no such thing.

My daily routine is to look at the new releases unfiltered, open store pages for anything action or strategy, and to mostly skip visual novels, adventure, RPGs, hidden object, clickers, casual, and obvious low-effort filler. I spend too much time tagging and flagging bad tags, but I figure it’s helpful in the long run. Usually I will Google-translate non-english descriptions to tag them. This all can take an hour or two, but it’s time I would have spent reading about games anyway. I use the Augmented Steam browser extension to add notes to my wishlist, and ITAD for prices & notification.

@Bobtree
I used to be like you. Then there was a syncing problem while logging into Steam, and “voom”, all my tags were permanently deleted. Now I just shit-post to their platform as much as I can. :D

@tomchick
Do you ever use the Steam micro-trailers page?
https://twitter.com/microtrailers
It doesn’t take that long to browse, and it means you’ll never miss a (Steam) game again.

I used to do that until a couple of years ago Steam made it incredibly hard to access it from their “client” (near impossible actually on the Mac client).
Thank you very much for the effort!
I still miss @amandachen’s same vein of posts about itch.io releases, though.