Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Well, there’s something I never thought I’d see.

Knights of the Chalice is now available on Steam

Spoiler:

The pellet with the poison’s in the vessel with the pestle;

…but the flagon with the dragon holds the brew that is true.

Until someone broke the flagon with the dragon. Now the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.

Man, that takes me back. Danny Kaye was awesome. Was Basil Rathbone playing the main villain in that one, as he had in the Errol Flynn version of Robin Hood?

But a day later, in another thread…

Rubin saved my wallet (thank you!).

My work here is done.

Why is your work saving @tylertoo’s wallet but destroying mine!

Wow, those are some big open levels!

I hope it delivers.

Do you know if previous owners get a free steam key? I’d like to add it to steam and give it a review.

I disagree with Brian. I’m loving the game, the combat and the planetary exploration, and don’t find it boring at all. In fact, of all of my recent purchases (which are far too many!), it’s my favorite.

WELL I DISAGREE WITH YOU SIR.

Crying Suns is on my radar, gotta find time to play the demo.

This Crying Suns review on Steam gives me pause, “Having to start from scratch at the start of each new chapter undermines the “getting stronger” and sense of actual progression aspect of the game. Worse than this…there’s no logical explanation given to you in game as to why this is …which is jarring considering the game goes to such effort to explain everything else…including even death and re trying.”

Looks like you reboot with two officers and basic ship at start of next run. I only played the demo and it was wicked hard, but reviews like this don’t motivate me to buy the game.

Can anyone confirm or refute reviews like this?

I’m 3+ hours into the game, but am only on Sector 2 (of 3) of Chapter 1. Based on what I’ve read, though, you do start from scratch after you complete a Chapter, but you also unlock more advanced battleships and officers after each run (also based on what I’ve read and the fact that I rescued an advanced officer during a planetary expedition).

Sorry, I’m not sure. It popped up on one of my Curator feeds.

Well, I’m not 100% sure a lot of people would find this worth knowing about. I’m not 100% sure I am, but I do know I just played it for a bit over an hour and didn’t get a seizure.

It’s a weird combination of asteroids, seizure inducing flashes and color recognition. You sit in the middle of the screen and need to hit the incoming polygons with the ammo that matches its color. The colors match those of an XBox controller, so there is some familiarity.

There are 6 levels, each unlocked by lasting 30 seconds in the prior one. You get a higher score for chaining together shots without a miss. There is a leader board too, so you can gloat when you beat your friends. There are 40 achievements which are fun to unlock, and I usually don’t focus on achievements. Games are fast, lasting from a less than 10 seconds to maybe a couple of minutes.

In any case, a number of you have it in your library already - @jpinard, @Rock8man , @divedivedive, @BrianRubin, @lordkosc and a bunch of others. Only one other has tried the game, Why not play for 15 minutes and see if you can avoid a seizure?

That’s an interesting @. I have no idea how I got this game, I assume it was in a bundle, but I’ll see if I can play it without a seizure.

Indeed a bundle, but I have no recollection of even registering it.

I played using the keyboard. 10.51 sec on Hardest before I threw in the towel. Interesting game.

Jeez, has no one recommended Just Shapes and Beats yet? Have I not recommended Just Shapes and Beats yet?!

This looks like a rhythm game, but it’s only somewhat a rhythm game–it’s got the awesome music and intensity of a rhythm game, but it’s mostly a bullet-hell game. You don’t attack, you just dodge. Like crazy. To the music. The game has a brilliant visual language for telling you when something’s going to blast you, and it manages to create a lot of dramatic moments and sweet breaks.

If you don’t like electronic music, don’t bother, but otherwise, it’s a raucous time that I can almost guarantee will leave you with good feelings.