Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

This looks like it might have potential, else heart.break a hacking isometric adventure game thing:

And RPS stuff here:

These 2 have caught my eye recently :

Turmoil

Concrete Jungle

Concrete Jungle looks to be right up my alley. Nice find.

I kickstarted Concrete Jungle because his previous game–Megacity on iOS–was a nice little city puzzle game. This is carrying the idea a lot further, and I’m definitely looking forward to it.

Well, BloodLust Shadowhunter came out of Early Access just a couple of days ago.

Bloodlust is a dungeon crawling / action RPG experience that will allow players to explore the dark underworld of a forgotten society of Vampires and their disciplines, all while trying to battle for hierarchy among the clans in search of their sire.

Features
o Bite and Sire to Build your Army of Minions

o Random Items, Weapons and Loot

o Randomly Generated Areas Provide a New Experience Each Time you Play

o Skills, Talents and Attibutes play an important part in both combat and dialog

o Challenging Puzzles

People are saying it’s somehow a cross between Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and Diablo. Wow! Anyone tried it?

I have not, but I definitely wanna know more.

Jotun comes out September 29th.

Jotun is a hand-drawn action-exploration game set in Norse mythology. In Jotun, you play Thora, a Viking warrior who died an inglorious death and must prove herself to the Gods to enter Valhalla. Impress the Gods!

Launch Trailer

Steam Page

Reiner Knizia’s The Confrontation looks interesting. I played the original boardgame a little. It’s like Stratego in that you can see where your opponent’s pieces are but not what they are.

The boardgame had a Lord of the Rings theme but not the computer version.

I read on their Kickstarter page that there’s going to be a DLC with new characters/pieces, so I might buy the game when that’s released. Also heard it’s coming out on GOG.

screenshots

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Confrontation is my favorite two-player boardgame that takes under 30 minutes to play. I’m not as big a Knizia fan as some people, but Confrontation is fantastic. I hope it works as well without the LotR theme (it probably does).

Concrete Jungle is now out. I’m not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it’s challenging and the campaign/tutorial ramps up pretty quickly. The cards are interesting, particularly the more advanced ones, and I’ve yet to complete a level where I haven’t sacrificed at least 1 life (if you’ve screwed yourself and can’t fill in a row, you can auto-fill it at the cost of a life). On the other hand, the city-building element feels tacked on. These cards could just as easily been farm animals or pieces of furniture, and game play would be the same.

Yeah, I watched a little bit of a video of Concrete Jungle to see what it was like and it is a city builder in theme only. I played a little bit of its predecessor on Kongregate (Megacity). If Concrete Jungle isn’t much more involved than that I can’t see buying it anytime soon. It seems like an OK game to play for a little bit here and there, but anymore than that it seems like it would get boring.

Ohhh, should we have a city builder thread?

I’m enjoying the game so far but, yeah, you need to know going in, this is a semi-abstract board/card/puzzle game, NOT a city builder. Sure you “build a city” in the process of playing the game but each building you place really only serves to add or collect points, no actual city planning (where shall I place a road to maximize the commute flow?) involved.

It’s also pretty poorly documented. I keep losing the 5th scenario because I couldn’t figure out how to use skills I purchased. And I still don’t get what the vs. games are all about.

Okay, this game is amazing. Just. Amazing. I really, really love it and kinda want to start a thread about it.

I just stumbled across Viscera Cleanup Detail, a bizarre little first-person space janitorial simulator. Kind of reminds me of Planetfall, only the cleanup is strictly after all the action happens.

Disaster! An alien invasion and subsequent infestation have decimated this facility. Many lives were lost, the facility was ruined and the aliens were unstoppable. All hope was lost until one survivor found the courage to fight back and put the aliens in their place!

It was a long and horrific battle as the survivor dueled with all manner of horrific life-forms and alien mutations, but our hero won out in the end and destroyed the alien menace! Humanity was saved!

Unfortunately, the alien infestation and the heroic efforts of the courageous survivors have left rather a mess thoughout the facility. As the janitor, it is your duty to get this place cleaned up.

So grab your mop and roll up your sleeves, this is gonna be one messy job. Today you’re on Viscera Cleanup Detail!

You can watch a couple of guys playing co-op here. Lots of cleaning and also lots of swearing as they track blood around, make messes and grumble about their jobs. “Now I understand why my mom used to get really mad. You know, like, ‘Get out of here, I just cleaned up!’ ‘What?’ Come in from being outside in my boots covered in dog shit and stuff. Never really fully appreciating that, like, my mom had spent any time whatsoever cleaning. Mom, if you’re watching, I’m sorry.

Dungeon Manager ZV (ZombieVital) has been delayed and is out in a couple of weeks. Basically it’s Dungeon Keeper but with no graphics - everything is controlled via spreadsheet (yay!). For $9.99 it might be worth a try. Sounds like there are some quirky mods for the Japanese version, so I hope we see some of those too.

Edit: I tried the game and found it to be even duller than I expected.

Drone Swarmgot announced. (I know a guy or two working on this.)

Command a huge swarm consisting of tens of thousands of drones.
Drone’s unique abilities include forming shields, disintegrating enemies and many more.
Invest in research to extend the power of your mothership and your drones.
Target enemy ship sub-systems directly to destroy weapons, engines, shields etc.
Use the environment to gain tactical advantage on the battlefield. Ignite gas clouds or throw entire asteroids at enemy ships.

I think this is one of those times Brian Rubin’s enthusiasm seems warranted. :) I’m fascinated by this weirdly compelling vampire action RPG, but I still haven’t left the tutorial dungeon. I’ll be curious to see how it holds up as it goes along. Have you been able to spend much time with it, Brian?

Egad. That looks like something I’m content to hear about others playing rather than to play myself. I think I did all the virtual cleaning I need to do in a Chibi Robo game several years ago.

-Tom

I’ve got maybe 3-4 hours in it so far, and I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface. Dealing with the different factions, quests and exploration have been keeping me busy, but apparently there is so much more to see and I can’t wait to explore more.