Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Thank you for posting this. It made me laugh out loud.

The music is a hoot, too. Now I know the perfect gift for a drunken sailor.

Sold! It’s my cultural imperative to drink tea, even simulated tea :)

Edit: Darn it…it’s Steam only it seems…grrrrr…well that video was fantastic so thanks for the link barstein. Was there a 2014 version? Awesome all the way.

Kings of Israel looks as if it might be fun, although I’m not Christian or Jewish. It’s a single-player (I think) conversion of a board game.

Based on the strategic board game of the same name, Kings of Israel takes place in ancient Israel during the reign of its kings up until Israel’s destruction by Assyria. The player must use their team of prophets to fight evil growing within Israel, while trying to build the altars needed to win the game. Life will not be easy for the team of prophets! Each turn evil grows within Israel, idols may be built, and chaos continues every turn a bad king leads Israel. But if the player plans well, and uses their actions and resources carefully, they will prevail and go on to new, and more difficult, battles!

Steam Greenlight: Steam Community :: Error
Currently available in this bundle: Groupees: Digital Bundle Marketplace for Games, Musics and Assets

Video review: https://youtu.be/1QDsf_uKrGE

Thanks for that - i’ve been checking out Kings of Israel on the Greenlight page and had no idea it had already been released. Grabbing this for sure.

Yeah, what the heck grabbed this in the make-your-own bundle along with Spirits of Xanadu… apparently a System-shocky game published by the guys who updated System Shock 1/2 for Steam. Even if it’s bad, the two games were only $1.50.

So Kings of Israel is very clearly inspired by Pandemic. You have four prophets, each with different abilities. They use actions to go around cleaning up “sin” in cities in Israel and destroying idols. There are some unique mechanics and twists on the formula. Presentation is pretty good for an indie game.

Yeah. I’m still in the first campaign mission, but I’m enjoying it.

After several tries I still haven’t completed the first mission of the campaign. This game is kicking my butt, but in a good way. I’ve generally been losing on the last or next-to-last turn. There’s also an option to set up custom games outside of the campaign, but I haven’t messed with it yet.

One point for those who might want to avoid this for fear of prosletyzing - the religious content is entirely optional. Essentially there are biblical study points that can be turned on and appear throughout the game. But I’ve been playing with them off, and you’d hardly notice that this is supposed to be a Judeo-Christian game.

In fact, you could make the game about almost anything - cleaning up pollution, interplanetary invasions, whatever - and the gameplay could remain intact.

Eh, forget Bible games (BTW I see [I]Kings of Israel[/I] on Steam now). What about [I]Perfection of Wisdom[/I]? Card-dueling game thing. They say it’s sort of a Buddhist version of Spectromancer. Someone tell me how good or bad this is.

Key Features :
-Turn-based 1 vs 1 card battle game.
-Beautiful card illustrations from Spectromancer game’s illustrators.
-Simple but solid card skill’s FX effects.
-Online multiplayer server, making your account for free, internet versus with worldwide gamers, lobby, chatting.
-Single mode with CPU, Arcade mode for enjoy game’s simple storyline, and world-wide multiplayer mode too.
-Unique 5 characters who has unique game system, and 30 unique skill cards for each character, so total 150 skill cards.
-Card game system you may never have seen before anywhere even if similar ones existed.
-Support 3 languages from the start, English, Korean, Japanese
-Consideration for both casual gamer and hardcore gamer’s favorites and game style.

Edit: Okay, so it seems a bit more complicated to get into than Spectromancer. And it’s about Buddhists dueling tarot masters and Halloween goths and other crazy classes.

Some more on the coming soon to PC ports of those old Sorcery! game books:

The Witness:

http://the-witness.net/

rps article:

looks very nice…but well £30 for a new myst (if that is what it is!) may be too steep for many?

Edit: and yes i can see it has it’s own thread ;) This is my note to self for when that fades a page or two back (i have this thread subbed see).

I just wanted to mention that they cleaned up a lot of the interface of Gremlins, Inc, and slowed down the animation a bit so it’s easier to follow. No campaign yet, but there are several scenarios for single-player, and as of today’s patch it auto-saves, so it might be a good time to either dive in or put it on your wishlist. I can see this being a lot of fun with real people, but games can be lengthy and there are no plans for asynchronous play, so multi-player won’t work for me.

They also continue to improve the lobby interface. One can now view the status of each in-progress session, which includes how close the session is to ending and the quantities of each resource each player has. Also, they continue to release updates on a weekly basis.

Nice gameplay video of Eitr, the isometric Souls-style game.

A WOT I Think review on those Sorcery! game book adaptions: (RPS link)

N++ (not Notepad), looks rather old-school and sort of cool:

The Slippery Slope to Violent Extremism

This is real.

Another reminder that the charming looking Samorost 3 is on it’s way to us, so a little info from rps and a new trailer:

http://samorost3.net/

Zelda meets Diablo in Moon Hunters, four IGN editors play co-op on YouTube:

The game looks awesome and is getting released on PC/PS4/PSVita in 2016.

It does! And it releases on Steam a week from Thursday!

Looks like the non-soundtrack version will cost $14.99.

Well THAT looks fantastic. Sign me up!