Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Oh, Lancer is the one by the Kill Six Billion Demons guy! I’m-a buy me this now.

Shipbreaker looks intriguing. I’ve been wondering why this doesn’t exist ever since playing Patchwork Heroes on PSP, years ago.

Short rogue-lite metroidvania.

Trying out Song of Horror (apologies if there’s a separate thread for it; search turned up nothing).

So far, it’s pretty okay! Controls suck, character models are no good, but I’m tense and occasionally jumping in my seat, even with my wife at her PC behind me playing Age of Empires II.

It’s kind of Silent Hill-y, Layers of Fear-y, with the twist that you select from a bundle of characters each chapter, and there’s permadeath; if that character dies, they (and their story) are no longer selectable moving forward.

Even though in practice I’m sure this has little effect on the game, it feels like it adds tension while I’m playing. I don’t want to die, so I’m on edge the whole time I’m playing. It’s an unfair mechanic to ramp up my fear, especially since I’m usually a save-scummer. So for me, it’s effective.

I’ll add more once I’m further in.

This looks interesting:

Just came out, but the reviews look lackluster…anyone get it?

Gunfire is really cool for an early access game, very fun. Seems to be getting a bunch of Youtubers interested, it’s like a roguelike Borderlands.

This thread kind of has too much steam store page link dropping and not enough actual discussion. Like why are these games knowing about probably?

I end up wishlisting a lot of stuff posted here. :)

You’re not using this thread properly! You’re supposed to find a game that interest you, buy it, play it, and then go over to the “indy games I’ve played and maybe you should to “ thread or whatever the heck it’s called. And post your impressions! Think of the posts here as assignments, and get to work.

It was mandated that I continue linking.

Keep up the great work, Bobtree and others. You do excellent work filtering through the chaff on steam to uncover possible gems.

Shapez.io was a great find from earlier this week. It has a nice power curve with unlocks and the complexity steadily increases. Its easy to optimize on the fly and there is a good stats view to see how many shapes you’re producing and storing in the hub.

A very strange, atmospheric JRPG.

Wooden Ocean actually looks very interesting. However, it’s a rpg maker game and appears to have a lot of glitches and bugs. Asking $20 for it seems like a strange pricing decision.

I haven’t homicided anything in weeks.

Klei Entertainment’s EGS exclusive is now in early access on Steam.

If I purchased Griftlands on Epic Games Store, how do I get my Steam copy?