Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Ew, doesn’t bode well.
Thanks!

Adorable Pac-Man-like retro arcade platformer.

Action-roguelike metroidvania.

Action-roguelike ARPG.

Short pixelated platformer with fast melee combat. The art style reminds me of Out of this World (aka Another World) or Flashback.

Top-down 2D indie retro Souls-like.

Rogue-lite exploration strategy sequel with a bigger art budget.

How did they not call it Curiouser Expedition.

Maybe it’s more traditional.

Bi-Curious Expedition?

Curious Expeduotion?

You should add that there is base building also. You get a castle (Camelot) that you can upgrade, that help with various things for your troops. So between the TB combat and basebuilding, it’s sort of like a medieval/fantasy Xcom.

Watched some footage of this a couple days ago and it seemed pretty cool.

Too Curious, Too Expeditious

Good point. I did forget to mention that, but that was partly due to me never doing it in the game. It was mostly due to me forgetting. Arthurian Xcom is a good way of putting it.

Curious Expeditions - like Alien and Aliens

I’ve been eyeing autobattlers lately, looking for something with some depth to it with interesting builds and itemization. I think I’ve finally found what I’m looking for: Astronarch

There is a lot going on in this one. Each character you can pick from has a passive and an active ability. These can be upgraded. Items can also be upgraded (and there’s a ton of variety with plenty of synergies). You start with three characters and add one more after each boss.

There’s also a morale system that represents the overall health of the party. You lose a point each time a hero is knocked out. Game over occurs when morale hits zero, so you can party wipe and still keep going (unless you lose to a boss).

The art style is goofy and animations nonexistent, but I really like the variety and interplay of systems here. I know some people don’t like a ton of metaprogression in games. I think the only unlocks May be new characters.

Got rolled by the first boss on my first run and can’t wait to try again. Trying to decide which rewards to pick and what to upgrade was already making for tough decisions, which I love.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-01-building-awful-ski-resorts-with-dangerous-slopes-in-snowtopia

Love the concept (there’s a Kairosoft game with the same theme, but it’s pretty obtuse), and the theme is much more appealing than Golftopia, but I’m happy to wait for this to come out of EA.

Astronarch is great, nice find! I am so glad to see something that’s actually out rather than early access! I keep getting to the King and getting demolished…

I can’t decide if I want a “random heroes” option or if that would be impossible. I probably want one.

The dev is really active on the steam forums. He yesterday after I mentioned getting wrecked by the king that he is the hardest of the act 3 bosses and he’s been eyeing a nerf to him.

But yeah, the game is fantastic, and he’s still actively developing it. I’d love to see more event variety, personally.

Yeah I feel like every one of these types of games have this problem. And that’s the biggest reason not to jump on early access I feel like, they usually haven’t developed enough events yet. At least the events in this game present interesting choices! It’s usually a tough decision, whether losing lives to gain a permanent bonus, or which permanent bonus to pick.

I finally beat a run! I didn’t get the King so that helped. I had gladiator as the tank and paladin and cleric to back him up. But the real winner was that the cleric had both “earns 6 mp/sec” and “active ability requires less mp after every cast” items so the tanks had to have just enough to survive the first 15 seconds or so and then the cleric was keeping everyone topped up.

Which boss did you get in act 3? I got owned by the hydra earlier.

And btw, @iguanaDitty I asked if more events were planned and the dev said:

Yes, there is a big free update coming at the end of Feb which will add more of everything, including a new mode. I’m open to ideas for events if you had any, maybe just start a new discussion if that’s the case.

I won my first run! It was basically my Paladin and pro doing all the heavy lifting. Got a crazy item on the Paladin that gave me a shield every five seconds that scaled with defense. With that and the upgraded enchanter’s armor making him immune to most status effects, he was very tough to bring down.

[quote="Misguided, post:4473, topic:73462, full:true"]

Which boss did you get in act 3? I got owned by the hydra earlier.

I won my first run!
[/quote]

Awesome!!
The Balrog Spawn seems to be the one boss in act 3 I can beat. I almost had the Hydra with some weird combination of characters but I got too greedy with saving my potions…and the damn thing would not go down.

I’m excited to see the game expand, it’s everything I hoped a PvE autobattler would be.

I have undervalued the enchanter’s armor I think, being immune to most statuses sounds amazing.

Yeah, it starts out with just fire, but adds others when upgraded, including poison and bleed I think. With a Final bastion giving over 500 shield every 5 seconds, it was pretty strong against most anything that isn’t piercing.