Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I definitely wouldn’t buy it unless you’re happy with it in it’s current state. That being said, I think it’s current state is one of the best games to boot up and play a round or two when you have ten minutes or an hour free.

Probably not the best thread for this, but…

Command and Colours, the Great War has been released on Steam:

I discovered that popular system through the Battlelore port (itself an iOS port), thanks to a suggeston by @JoshL in the Winter sale thread, and am quite fond of it.
This version seems ported by HexWar though, which tends to not do the greatest job around converting board games, if you are to trust my limited personal experience or the general word-of-mouth.
I tried looking on iTunes but this seems to be a PC exclusive. Anybody knows more?

Sucker that I am for digital board games, I grabbed it this morning despite it coming from Hexwar, whose track record is uneven, to say the least. I figured between some positive word of mouth and the ability to get a refund, it was worth a shot.

My experience with the board game is limited, and I’ve only played (and lost) the first tutorial scenario. So far I’ve run into a couple of minor bugs (clicks needing multiple tries before they registered, same for removing a card from the screen) but nothing game-breaking.

The tutorial isn’t always as clear as it could be regarding the mechanics of play. The in-game help is an abridged version of the board game rule book, but you can find the complete version here.. I recommend downloading and reading it.

So far it seems to have just the right mix of dice/card-based luck and smart tactical play, but only time will tell if the AI is good enough to give it legs. Right now only hotseat and single player modes are available, but online cross platform and async play are supposed to be coming soon.

As I am interested in online play, I’ll wait for that feature to show up… and some of the light bugs to be (hopefully!) corrected! Thank you for the write-up.

Speaking of board games, I grabbed the iOS version of Colt Express I had mentionned a while back, and found it a really nice single player experience. Haven’t tried multiplayer yet, but the comical and random nature of the game doesn’t seem very fit for quiet and anonymous online rivalries.

Anyone tried these early-access card games? Both look real tasty.

@LordGek just purchased Card Quest.

I’ve known the Lords of New York developer for about 20 years… He was a programmer on Empire Earth when I worked at Impressions and was doing QA for EE. Anyhow – he’s a super nice and very talented guy. He’s been working on Lords of New York for 5-6 years, probably. While I haven’t played it, I would be surprised if it is bad.

Looks like they’re livestreaming tomorrow night (Sunday) if you want to check it out:

Lords of New York, from the store page, looks a lot like my absolute favorite mahjong game, Gambler Tetsuya. On the console versions, you had to memorize and input gamepad commands, akin to the Konami code, but more or less complicated depending on the trick you tried to pull, and do it at the appropriate time of the play to try your ‘luck’ and cheat. And it featured the “special characters” as well, with some even trying to cheat back or worse, catching you doing it.

Can’t wait to see it in action.

This quote MADE ME have to check it out.

While not a huge Poker fan, especially Texas Hold’em, I love the idea of unique character abilities. I love how in this game they each have their own thematic and completely surreal cheats they can use in the game that have no basis at all in reality! Like the aviatrix’ ability to do a “Barrel Roll” and shoot down a bad card draw if she doesn’t like it or a singer that can use here “Lullaby” to stop another player from folding!

So can anybody vouch for the AI? With so many wacky powers at hand, can the AI play this competently?

Oh, and I did already pounce on Card Quest. Enh. Not horrible and has some interesting mechanics at play, but not really holding my attention, sadly.

So I played the demo for a game today and I just had to buy it. It’s available (in Early Access) on both Steam and GOG, and it’s called Crosscode.

I would describe it, but I’d rather have you all play the demo if you can. You don’t even need to install it - you can play it in your browser!!!

Demo (you can play it on your browser or download it; it’s also available on Steam):

http://www.cross-code.com/en/home#play

Steam:

GOG:

I had a lot of fun with Oh Sir, The Insult Simulator. A very limited game, but for 2 bucks well worth it for the laughs.

This looks like an interesting single-player board game. Anyone already played the mobile version?

I just got home from a trip for work to discover something called Minos Strategos. I know Tom is also a fan of Braingood Games, so I’m looking forward to seeing his take on it.

I have, but didn’t put too much time into it, yet, because there was a bug on 32-bit iOS devices that prevented SFX and music from playing. They just squashed the bug yesterday, so I’ll be going back to it. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played so far and don’t think one can go wrong for less than $4.

I watched a couple of videos and it kind of reminds me of Tharsis - which means I’ll be grabbing it later today. At $4 it’s a no-brainer.

I grabbed it, because I am a sucker for Braingoodgames games (although I found Skyboats a bit too confusing with too many stuff interplaying), and Tom hinted he wouldn’t stream the game only because it required so much careful thought and planning it wouldn’t make for a great commentary.
I spent an hour with it today, and so far it has been the best experience I’ve had with one of their games: the rules were really simple, there is very little randomness involved, but this is becoming a real headscratcher once you get a few levels in. It is like the better version of Militia, with a really nice mix of theme and gameplay on top: as the ‘Strategos’, it becomes quickly apparent you need to lay out your troops in the right position, and assess the one of your enemies to unleash your better strategies (i.e., cards). When you pull a particularly tricky move you planned for, it is incredibly satisfying, which is weird to say for what is, in concept, supposed to be an abstract game.
Also the the more mechanics and enemies are introduced, the more interesting it is becoming. I can’t wait to spend more time with it, but it requires serious brain time!

Anybody played System Crash?

Seems it is one of those games that was lost to me in the post-2015 Steam interface disaster.
It is described as a single player only story-driven collectible card game and was released nearly a year ago. I am reluctant to give the demo a try in a story-driven game (not really great to start over the game, as it is often the case), so I am curious if anybody tried the game.

I played the demo when it came out and it didn’t grab me, but it’s getting some good press so I’ve been thinking of checking it out again.

Quarantine comes out in EA some time today.

I’ve been trying to wean myself off Early Access, but this promises to be a mix of Pandemic and the base-building parts of XCOM, so unless the early word is that it has fleas I’ll probably bite.

Just cleaned up my wishlist down to 300 games, now you gotta post this…

And its up to 301 now. ;)