Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I bought Warpips. It’s a pretty good war of attrition type of game. Good humour, charming graphics and sound. My only real issue with it at the moment (it’s in early access) is that losing a battle leads to a death spiral; any forces you commit to a battle are lost whether you win or lose, so if that happens before you earn enough currency to buy more, you’re pretty much fucked.

Worth the asking price though I think, and I know from the Discord that the dev is very keen to get feedback on balance issues.

…and this just got patched out. Ha! I guess I wasn’t the only person who complained!

Now, if you lose a battle you lose one of three lives but you don’t lose any units.

Thanks for the write up, I am gonna get it.

Hmm, that is intriguing. And unlike Planet Zoo it presumably won’t light my processor on fire.

Do the Smaugoducks eat themselves?

Sold, for the Crocoduck.

I mean, how could you not right?

Tired: Owlbears
Wired: Owlybaras

@krayzkrok I need moar explanation, how is this possible?

5-1-2021 9-00-02 PM

When a daddy duck and mommy croc love each other very much, they do this special thing with eggs that…

Seems like it would be less likely to sneak up on you unaware and chomp. Or maybe it is as likely, but it would just hurt a lot less. I do want to see a crockoduck doing a death roll with a large grasshopper in its beak.

Nothing indie game related worth knowing about (probably) but I get a JD Salinger Presents Hollywoo Stars and Celebrities What Do They Know? Do They Know Things? Let’s Find Out! vibe from this exchange.

Here is Rift Wizard, a game which looks like Desktop Dungeons if Desktop Dungeons was a roguelike.
EA sadly (very EA, quite a few issues). No unlockables happily. I’m tempted. Maybe @justaguy2 played and refunded it? ;D

I noticed in one of their videos there is a morality gauge of some kind. This coupled with the DNA splicing makes me think there is some Island of Doctor Moreau elements going on.

How are you getting on with this? Exhausted it? I picked it up on your recommendation, and I must say it is extremely refreshing to play a strategy game that doesn’t require extensive tutorials or hours of video to come to grips with again. It’s very easy to play on my girlfriend’s iPad with Steam streaming, too, which doesn’t hurt.

Still playing here and there. It’s very interesting how the unique faction units change the game.

Also, levelling up your leaders and units seem fundamental. A couple of long games went haywire when I just flat out couldn’t defeat enemy stacks of death, despite my economy being stronger.

I agree the simplicity is amazingly refreshing, and something I might try to borrow if I ever get time for a personal project. The developer is now working on the sequel (this one being the sequel to a previous game) and it looks like he might get into a yearly or so release schedule with incremental sequels. So far it seems that while he’s adding some complexity (buildings) it’s still very clean and simple overall, so I have hopes that in one or two games more he will find a really good sweet spot.

I don’t know if it is worth knowing about, but a roguelike where the boss is a mountain made me buy it. Haven’t tried it yet, though.

Great idea, pretty shallow game sadly. I love climbing, used to do some when I was younger, spent a lot of time in Yosemite etc. If there was ever a target market for this, it’s me. Very very mobile game-y. Click on a destination, succumb to various RNG that’s pretty repetitive. You have 5 things to manage, but the outcome of managing those things really isn’t much in your power.

This is such a great idea, I really hope someone else makes a good game out of it. Something like The Long Dark, with actual scale mountains to climb.

There is a good boardgame, K2

I found a couple of good games, one is pure climbing simulator where you control each limb, which is both about the setting up and the climb itself, for early Windows, the other is a management game for the first Playstation, which is all about setting up properly and building a good route depending on that setup. Both are untranslated in English, sadly.

There is Breath of the Wild, for a more casual but very atmospheric take too ;)

If anyone wants climbing (by controlling different limbs) as a fundamental game mechanic, one can’t go wrong with Ubisoft’s Grow Home and Grow Up.