Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

The Sea Will Claim Everything is on sale.
It’s a simple adventure game with a bit too much pixel chase at its root. It is obvious it is filled with heart, but is also a bit of a poseur, and is too anchored into the angst of its time, and commenting on it, to be really as light or deep as it wished it were in my opinion. But the atmosphere reminds me a lot of early 8bit adventure games, and I enjoyed my time with it.

Edit: basically it’s an adventure game that would be better without its text, it seems I am saying :O

Thanks to the wonderful discovery algorithms I didn’t realize this classic finally made it to Steam.

Think Mega Man with anime girls and bullet hell bosses and you’ve got Rosenkreuzstilette.

That is the exact kind of game I am glad Steam’s discovery algorithms don’t show me. :-)

You received that coupon too? :D

Indeed! Maybe coupons will be the hot new advertising trend for 2017.

This. Although I had no idea they made a game based on Rosenkreuzatilette & Gildenstern Are Dead.

My Chinese is pretty awful, and I don’t have enough to play and understand Low Magic Age, but an English translation is coming soon (it’s due in Feb/March). Looks like a prettier Knights of the Chalice. Add it to your wishlists.

It’s in the shopping cart, even.

I can’t believe Knights of the Chalice 2 isn’t out yet. I can’t believe I forgot about Knights of the Chalice :O

Well, Queen Under the Mountain’s had an important update:

The end-of-the-month Update is here! We’ve added Sex, Pooping & Toilets, The Plague, Jewels & the Jeweller.

Sex
Reproduction now requires that any two dwarves have sex. If PG mode is on, they will simply kiss each other, but if it’s off, they’ll do it in several different positions, while moaning various dirty things.

Pooping & Toilets, Sickness & the Plague
Dwarves poop. They prefer to walk to the nearest toilet & use that, but if there isn’t one available, they’ll poop on the floor.

Stone toilets can now be built in the Privy rooms, which should be scattered across your fortress to create easy access for colon-laden dwarves.

Poop lying around on the floor adds to the Sickness variable. If it gets over 100, there will be an outbreak of the plague. This will kill 20 percentage of your dwarves.

Anyone been playing this?

Those snippets of description seem to capture the essence of the Dwarf Fortress narrative perfectly.

I’ve not, but I’ve had my eye on it for some time.

I’ve been kinda interested in it, especially now they lowered the ridiculous price and have started working on the game again. But Oxygen Not Included is looking to be the better Diggles remake.

Z:Year One is out of early access.

I’ve been playing it on and off for a while now, and it deserves credit for being a CCG that’s not just another MtG or Hearthstone clone.

It’s assymetrical humans vs. zombies (the Fallen) and can be brutally difficult, especially when playing as humans. Thematically it falls apart at times (the Fallen - zombies - can use tools and lay traps) and suffers for it, but otherwise it’s pretty solid and has some great artwork.

In my book it especially deserves credit for being a singleplayer only title for one fixed price in a genre almost completely made of freemium games focused on PvP and paying little more than lip service to singleplayer. (Hex being the notable exception to the latter, of course.)

Get this instead.

OMG. It’s so fun.

That looks very good! - a bit of a puppygames vibe in its look too - but I have a bit of a trouble isolating what sort of game it is, as the reviews are not very helpful, detailing mundane stuff, from a quick browsing of them. It looks like it is an action RPG? Is it clickfesty? Or has it got more of a pausable RTS approach?

One correction after playing a couple of games of Z:Year One - items discovered by the Fallen are removed from play but not actually used by them. So I guess you could suspend disbelief and imagine them shambling along dragging a medkit behind them, or that the traps were actually laid by a different group of survivors.

Either way it’s still a good game and brutally difficult

It has a pause in single player so it can be as clicky as you want. If you want to pause and give each individual member an order - - to target a specific enemy or use a specific skill - - you can, or you can just have all your squad members selected and just have them all take out targets one by one by clicking them. It’s very flexible. In the early game, I was just having all squad members shoot at a target. Now I’m being more selective in who targets who and who uses which skill when as enemies get tougher and more numerous.

wishlisted

After reading this…

…and seeing that they added Partial Controller Support to its Steam page, I can’t see not jumping in for only $8.99: