Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Dreamscaper has left early access. Hades-style action roguelike.

Arcade flight exploration, has a demo.

Puzzle platformer.

2D physics puzzle programming automation, has a demo.

chr$, oh my, the memories.

Jupiter Hell has been mentioned a few times in the thread, and just came out of early access. Basically a stream-lined DoomRL (traditional rogue-like), with graphics and controller support. Very good!

I’m wary about this one because I loved the sound theme of the original so much!

You mean music? Maybe put the DoomRL soundtrack on in the background… ;)

I don’t know how the music is this one compares, because personally I turn it off in most games… :)

The grunts! and weapons!

Oh, the ‘Doom’ sounds… yeah. The sound in this is good, but not as iconic obviously. It’s higher fidelity, and directional so you can hear where things are. Trying to capture the same essence.

Oh wow, this gives me Gangsters: Organized Crime vibes, referring to the 1998 Eidos Interactive game. It was wonky but delivered a pretty immersive ‘run a small scale gangster empire’ experience. I have not been impressed by any attempt since.

The title of this new game looks like it is gonna be kinda confusing given the release of ‘Omerta - City of Gangsters’ a couple years ago. Taking that same sub-title as the full game title . . . crazy?

From what I’ve seen and read, the game is more “Illegal Booze Tycoon”, focused almost entirely on manufacture, sale, and distribution of bootleg hooch. No other rackets are available and conflicts with other gangs is minimal.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that. I still plan to get it on release. But I would suggest watching a couple of reviews or Let’s Plays so you know what you’re purchasing.

Hehe, dang it, stop threatening my right to buy blind and than complain it was not what I was expecting. Informed purchase and considered reasonableness coaching rejected! :-P

. . . but actually, sound advice, well received. Patiently now waiting for your review :-)

Understandable that as a very small indie studio from New Zealand they didn’t want to go toe-to-toe with Cyanide’s Pro Cycling Manager just yet. Share the same wishful hope that they branch out into fully representing the sport though. Would be good to have a proper competitor to PCM for my cycling management fix.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Space Colony: the Age of Decadence developer goes sci-fi

I don’t know if you picked this up yet but there is an option to scale the UI up to fairly ginormous proportions.

One of the many reasons I hate these catch-all threads is that you guys are really bad about stating the name of what you’re talking about once the discussion gets into a few rounds of back-and-forth. You’ve basically hidden the discussion from anyone who isn’t already participating. Why wouldn’t you just start a new thread to make the topic easier to find and more welcoming to people who might be interested?

-Tom

A post was merged into an existing topic: Space Colony: the Age of Decadence developer goes sci-fi

I considered making a new thread but noticed that the original link to the Early Access version of Colony Ship in April only received a handful of responses. Plus I thought that it’s a bit too early in the development cycle to say anything definitive about the game.

Creating a new thread just to keep the track of the conversation was probably a good idea.

I’ve been seeing some buzz about Voidtrain on the YouTube:

It won’t be out on Steam for a bit but it’s available on Epic for $30 right now.

It’s a first-person perspective survival builder where you are traveling through a weird alternate universe on a train cart. You expand your base by adding on to the cart and turning it into a full-fledged locomotive. Even though it’s in Early Access, it looks great and seems fairly complete.

It reminds me quite a bit of another survival builder named Raft.

Seems pretty interesting to me, and though I often shy away from EA games I may pick it up the first time it goes on sale over at Epic.

Slice & Dice is a sweet party-based roguelite where each class is represented by a die with unique faces. Tons of interesting mechanics here and a lot of interesting things you can do with sequencing of moves. The item system allows you to tweak die faces a little, but you aren’t really building your own dice here.

Available on Windows, mac, and Android (iOS later) as well as Java.

No music yet. there is a demo available, which is really worth checking out.

Slice & Dice looks interesting. I’ll check out the demo.

When I saw something about Slice & Dice on YouTube I instantly recognized what an awesome name that is. I hope the game is as good!