Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Realms of Arkania. Star Trail was the second of the three games.

Oh jeez, nudge me toward making my first ever gaming video why don’t you? :-P

I cannot truly rave about it yet, I need more time in-game to see if the early promise unfolds into long-term enjoyment, but if it does pan out, I would be really keen to help this game reach folks that would appreciate it.

Early days . . . it is like a mashup of the exploration aspects of Eador, a CRPG with party turn-based hex-based tactical battles, and a bit of the resource management, crafting and building of the Thea games. That is a pretty compelling combination, if the downsides can be tolerated.

Gotcha! I think I played the first two out of three of those, and wisely stayed away from the somewhat recent remake of one of them. They remain framed within a nostalgic halo of wonder for me :-)

Yes, please.

I bounced off this pretty hard (mostly the combat) but I’d be interested in seeing/hearing more to revive my interest.

Sounds good

This looks awesome and weird, I’m in.

Unpacking is out on Game Pass and other PC stores and on Switch today.

I LOVED the demo of this that was available a couple months back. It made it one of my most anticipated games. It’s a simple concept, completely banal. You’re taking things out of boxes and putting them away on shelves and in drawers in a series of isometric rooms. GOD it’s satisfying. There are occasional little wrinkles that add some challenge–not everything fits where you might first want it to–but unless it changes in the later game, I don’t think it’s about challenge. And I gather there’s a story that unfolds as you… er… fold your clothes.

It looks very cute, and accommodating to that weird urge some (many?) of us have for pigeonholing and aligning things.

Is six rooms long enough though? The first looks very short. What is the playthrough time? I’m assuming it doesn’t really have any re-playability. I guess it’s fairly cheap though, for something short and sweet.

Interesting. I’m making note of this one. I was initially super turned off to the game (unfairly), because I adore the devs previous game, Assault Android Cactus, and was disappointed to see something so different in their follow-up.

According to (negative) Steam reviews, it’s about 4 hours to play. The retail price is $20.

This looks intriguing and pushes a lot of my buttons. Probably gonna pick it up.

Shadows of Forbidden Gods is now out in Early Access. The developer’s previous game, Shadows Behind the Throne had some interesting ideas and showed promise, but this seems to be a bit more polished and refined. Even though I keep telling myself “no more EA” I still wanted to scratch the That Which Sleeps itch. Plus, there’s a demo, although I’m not sure how far behind the current build it is.

Lost King of Avallon is still early access. As near as I can tell, it’s a scenario-based game that only has 30 of 200 planned scenarios.

-Tom

I think it’s enough by the end, it does change slightly as some rooms become pre-populated with items so you’re not starting with a blank canvas. Not sure how much more they could have stretched out the concept given the underlying story as well.

A really nice game, it has been well done, even if occasionally I’ll scratch my head over what an object actually is.

Whilst playing, I found myself feeling melancholy. Maybe it’s just my personal circumstances - my eldest kid will be leaving home in a year or two, and it made me think a lot about that, and how quickly life passes by.

I think this might be launching today, anyone pick it up?

I played it on iOS. I didn’t care for it personally, but those who like games or puzzles that are primarily “experiences” might. I recall thinking the narrative elements got in the way and I just wanted more puzzles, but the puzzles weren’t all that engaging/interesting for me.

Thanks man for getting back to me on this one.

I had a feeling this might be one of those games w/ a good intro video that catches my eye and looked cool because of a possibly interesting game loop that on closer inspection doesn’t pan out. The bit about it being a puzzler is the finishing touch for me, not into that so much so I’ll pass.

Just to clarify: It’s not six rooms, but six flats/houses. I liked it a lot and if anyone isn’t willing to pay 20 Dollars for three to four hours, there’s always Gamepass.

Let’s Build a Zoo has promise:

Anyone interested or do I have to take one for the team again?

Matt Damon says take one for the team.