Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Not sure if they are trolling with “rougelike”.

Would like to think they are trolling, but let’s not forget the best writer on that site is the news editor.

They called it that themselves during the Kickstarter campaign. It seems natural for anyone reporting on it to do the same.

That word lost all meaning long ago, IMO. I think it just means a game is difficult at this point. For me, it easily the most over used word in gaming.

I haven’t played any rougelikes, have you? Maybe we could make a Steel Magnolia rougelike starring Blush and Bashful.

Yep, Sword of Fargoal, it was a Rogue clone. Even though I am old enough, I don’t think I ever actually played Rogue, but SoF was really popular on the C64. Since then “Roguelike” has always meant that style of play to me so I am confused when people say Dwarf Fortress or FTL are “Roguelikes” (I am taking it too literal I guess).

Sorry, a petpeeve on a subject that has been covered extensively.

Edit: Sorry again, the play on the spelling went right over my head.

An indie dev I follow on Twitter pointed out that this is on sale and suggested it was worth playing:

Pan-Pan is also on iOS for those that might be interested. Released this week.

Anyone like programming games? Mind-Machine Interface is on Steam Greenlight, so give it a vote and try the demo.

Streets of Rogue is now on Steam and free for the weekend.

Or at least I just got a dev email saying it is free for the weekend.

Age of Rivals seems to be Civ re-imagined as a CCG, and with a sale price of $8.50 puts it well within my “give it a shot” range.

Someone way back on one of the holiday sales damage threads was pimping Voidspire Tactics and since it was on sale I grabbed it on a whim. It lay fallow in my backlog until I finally decided to take it for a spin recently and all I can say is thank you to the person(s) that clued me in to this little indie gem. It’s a ton of fun to play.

You’re thinking of Age of Rifles, amirite.

:)

So I picked it up (of course) and so far I played one skirmish match on Normal against the AI and lost by a point. It’s interesting. 99% of the strategy is deciding what cards to purchase for the hand of 8 that comprises your “kingdom”, since every card has a special ability, and it’s the synergy of those abilities that makes all the difference. The other 1% is assigning damage following combat. One phase of the game is completely hands-off and seems kind of superfluous, as thought is was thrown in to make to make the whole thing seem deeper.

I may try a game later against a real person to see how that goes.

Anyway here’s some guy playing it if you’re curious.

I’m enjoying it so far.

That hands off bit, you mean the Conquer stage? I see it as both a means to give warmongers some points as well as rewarding the person who purchased several little troops as opposed to just a couple of huge ones,

I like the fairly simple mechanics and how it IS in fact a lot more about adapting to both what your opponent is laying down and what random cards you’re given to choose from than the typical skillful playing of your pre-constructed deck.

Exactly what I’m referring to, but you have a point.

I played two more games - one against some guy on line who absolutely destroyed me (final score was something like 55-5), and one more game against the Normal AI, in which I managed to eke out a 60-59 victory only because I had so many resources generating tax revenue I got a huge excess gold bonus at the end.

I couldn’t figure out why I was losing up to that point, when it suddenly dawned on me that while I was concentrating on purchasing attackers, the AI was laying down cards with much bigger culture values, including one that increased by 2 for every attacker I put down. You really do need to be aware of the cards your opponents is buying.

If we can find a time that works for both of us I’d be up for a private game if you are.

Sure. I’m LordGek and should be around most of the day tomorrow. Do you do the Qt3 Slack or Discord?

This is pretty good. It’s very SpaceChem-like, but definitely its own thing. The UI is… not as slick as SpaceChem, for sure. And there’s a lot of just trying to figure out how stuff works (although that is part of the fun). I’m only 6 puzzles into it, and I’m already having trouble solving them.

Anyway, if you liked SpaceChem at all, you should try it.

Not sure i know what you mean. We should probably take this to PM