Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I wouldn’t normally give a free-to-play game the time of day – “Sorry, I don’t wear a watch,” I would tell it even though I’m actually wearing a watch – but after watching a video of this, I’ve marked December 2nd on my calendar:

As I’m sure everyone here recalls, @Mark_Asher and I were fond of a game called Flying Heroes. Everyone remembers Flying Heroes, right? From back in 20mumblemumble? Remember how awesome it was and how many hours we all spent whiling away the time in Flying Heroes, being heroic and flying and everything? What a great game that was, huh? Well, maybe this will be like that, but modern. And free-to-play.

-Tom

Is that the Bulge dragon game that was requested yesterday?
Brooski and Wombat are huge influencers.

It’s an over-the-shoulder MP arena shooter where you’re a rider on a dragon. I played a couple times in beta because the kid thought it looked interesting. We both ended up deciding we wouldn’t be able to “git gud” enough to make it fun (yeah, I said it, come at me bro) over the long haul. Also, what little we could make out of the monetization (being beta and all) looked sus, as the kids might say.

Finally gets a set release date, march! Something to look forward to :)

Right?!?!!!

Oh, wait, you’re saying that as if there are other such games out there! But that’s one reason this caught my eye. In what other game can I ride around on a dragon and fight other people riding around on a dragon? It’s going to be like Flying Heroes all over again, at long last!

I was hoping it might have bots for casual PvE coop with friends. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case. Not just a “MP arena shooter” as you said, but a “MP-only arena shooter”. :( So, yeah, anyone who doesn’t want to “git gud” is probably going to have a tough time of it.

They’re pretty insistent that progression is strictly cosmetic. I don’t know if that addresses what you thought was suspect, though.

-Tom

Not many to be sure and not in a long time. There was an RPG I played a long time ago that I can’t remember the name of - I do remember it was included with my Voodoo (yeah baby!) graphics card. And the Divine Divinity Dragon Knight one. Can’t think of anything since.

It looked like monetized dragons might have differences in how they play, but since the store wasn’t really there at the point I futzed with the beta, I couldn’t be sure and I didn’t stick with it very long.

I guess the different dragons might be cosmetic but I got the feeling there might more to it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drakan: Order of the Flame - Wikipedia ?

There was that Palace Software strange game for DOS where you were some wizard running a dragon stable that you could ride too. To defend your territory or something. There was a very strange game of cooking food with potions (?) to potentially strengthen them. I can’t recall if there was multiplayer, bit you probably couldn’t rife against each others, it was too old. I wonder if I’m making that up as I’m writing it.
I think the game you are mentioning Calelari was given away on GOG ten years ago, but I cannot check its name right now.

Drakan was single player only though? Hoard was multiplayer, but you were the dragons. But it wasn’t an arena shooter either.

@Left_Empty that’s a real game, I remember it too. No idea what the heck it was called. (Or really how it worked, I remember it being pretty opaque)

Phew!

I couldn’t get into Hoard either, but I had nobody to play it with. Did you try the MP part of it, Krok Whisperer?

What about Dragonstrike, the licensed Dragonlance D&D game?!

Oh darn, the painful memories

My achievement list suggests my wife and I were playing Hoard a bunch in 2014. I remember that we played, but not the mechanics of the game all that well. I think it worked for us because you didn’t have to treat it as dragon v dragon combat, you could compete by trying to burn down more villages and stuff? I do remember that we tried leaving our lobby open to get other people playing, but the MP scene was completely dead by the time we were playing.

That was it!

My kid and I got into HOARD (apparently all-caps is the official title) for a bit back in 2010-2011. I don’t recall single/split-screen MP, probably just SP vs AI.

Correct. You only needed direct combat to stop another player doing stuff.

Hoard was a lovely little game. I had a good enough time playing against the AI, although eventually I had it mastered.

The Pathless is now available on Steam. 3D action-adventure.

ONI-like 2.5D building and management. Similar to the recent StoneDeep.

Retro traditional roguelike sequel.

Beautiful SF 3D flight.

Non-violent speed-running retro metroidvania.

Lite automation, puzzles, economy, and management. Has a demo.

Actually, Exo One isn’t quite flight. For all intents and purposes, it’s Tiny Wings on procedurally generated 3D terrain. Pretty trippy, but I’m not sure there’s $15 worth of gameplay in there.

-Tom

What’s Tiny Wings, it doesn’t show up on Steam!

Looks like an iPhone game?