Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

New theory: Maybe search sucks.

NO WAY.

Hadn’t heard about this until I saw kotaku’s best of list.

I checked and its actually 97.94788273615635 % positive.

The two Opus games I played were good, but a bit heavy handed (not many games got the subtlety and sensibility of, say, Beast Breaker ;)
The OPUS branding is kind of bad, because I couldn’t tell it was a new one that had been release this year, even though I am following them!

I just realized I own and played one, I think as part of the IGF. It was the kinda top-down one? I remember being really excited for the look of the setting and the way it looked to combine narrative and gameplay. Best I remember I was kinda put off by the quality of the writing? I’m definitely up to try this one, though.

On a totally different front: What if Scrabble Battle Royale?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XVFwzQrLq8

How cool does that look eh? ‘Words with enemies’! Chef’s kiss

Holy shit nausea warning!

My racing league’s game for our next season :

You have to take day jobs driving buses or “taxes” to earn enough money to buy and build your racecar.

That sounds like such a great concept. If it turns out to be a good game, give it its own thread.

I just tried the demo expecting it to be a bit of an unruly mess and was very pleasantly surprised. Like “this shouldn’t be this good” surprised.

It definitely has a Euro/American Truck Simulator vibe to it, except with different vehicles to drive.

I ran a couple of what I presume are tutorial missions - picking up a hitchhiker in an American Muscle facsimile and driving him to what appeared to be a court appearance(!), then driving to a warehouse and swapping to a pickup truck.

I ran two deliveries in the pickup and it handled differently depending on the weight of the item in the back. On the way back the package was much heavier than on the way out to the first delivery and it kept shifting in the back as I turned, causing the back of the truck to swing out in tight corners. I was counter-steering out of the hairpins.

Funnier still, I was crawling up a hill because I think the delivery was a bit too heavy for a pickup and some AI Dodge Charger-alike got bored and gunned past me even though there were solid yellow lines! Rude!

I’m hoping when you get enough levels you can become a cop, so I can find that AI driver and impound his car.

Also, when I created the instance I was going to drive in I could open it to the public or to just steam friends, so you can have a multiplayer convoy.

There’s also a constant feed in the bottom of people setting personal bests for the various race tracks or new top speeds etc, even though they’re not in your “world.”

Thanks for the write-up. I definitely want this. Looks like it’ll be in early access for one to two years though. :/

Maybe should just start a thread for Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts, especially after I wasted several minutes trying to find the thread I was sure existed. Tally-Ho Corner seems to enjoy the current state: Ultimately Admirable – Tally-Ho Corner

In Motor Town if you take a taxi job then when your fare gets in the car you get a little circle at the bottom of the screen with a smaller circle inside.

The smaller circle represents your passenger and it moves around in response to on your driving. If you throw the cab around enough that small circle touches the edge of the big circle then you lose a “comfort” point and you get less of a tip when you drop the passenger off.

Wouldn’t it be fun if there were jobs where someone paid you to make the fare uncomfortable?

Sir you are 1,000% correct as I just played some of this and HOLY HELL it’s satisfying. I think this dragon is just mad at EVERYONE, as I first laid waste to a German base and then an American base, and my god it was glorious. The screams of the men on the ground when you burn them are just DELIGHTFUL.

So this is a crazy thing. I don’t even know how to explain it. Yet.

It’s like Cannon Fodder without dying all the time!