Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

If you summon @Dave_Perkins he can hook you up on Slack. It’s where lots of people coordinate multiplayer games.

Wartile looks like an interesting little not quite card-based, not quite real-time tactical game.

Here’s a better look at it. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of content yet for the price, but I’ve added it to my wish list. And I love the aesthetics of it.

Holy crap. That last map.

I was so hyped about this. Then I saw its an RTS not turn based :(]

Looks lovely though!

Looks more like Diablo GO (starring Geralt) than a real RTS, though.
I found the way you move your guy around physically painful to watch, for some reason. It evoked the lingering sensation after a muscle cramp and I absolutely disliked it.

That looks voteworthy.

Apparently a remake of Crisis in the Kremlin. I remember playing the old Spectrum Holobyte (kids, ask your parents) game back in the early '90s.

I’m a little concerned that it appears they used Google Translate to create the Steam page.

Some buddies from the local dev community finally launched the Kickstarter campaign for their game:

[quote]All Walls Must Fall is an isometric tactics game where actions happen to the pulsing beat of the music. You control time travelling secret agents as they jump and loop through a single night in the city of Berlin. Using a pausable real-time system, carefully plan your decisions and use powerful time manipulation abilities to your advantage, as you carry out your mission in the shadows or in plain sight. Levels are procedurally recombined using a bespoke system developed by inbetweengames, giving All Walls Must Fall a highly replayable campaign structure, while still offering individually crafted components and set-pieces.

All Walls Must Fall takes inspiration from genre classics like X-Com, Syndicate and REZ, as well more recent indie games like The Banner Saga, Braid, SUPERHOT and Crypt of the Necrodancer.[/quote]

Monster Slayers has just been released.

It is an iteration by Nerdook on the awesome Dream Quest. The guy has always been very talented at getting a known design and putting his own, more casual twist on it in some aspect (the persistant progression in his game makes you really stronger), but also with tough decisionning - for instance, in this game, while you can pick overall persistent talent for your class, those are exclusive choices. I like all his work, and this one is no exception so far.

Note: while named similarly to another previous free flash game by the same Nerdook, this game is not the same.

I can’t get past the visuals on dream quest, so interesting to see something a bit more refined.

Word of warning: there is no in-game save once you start a dungeon (they each act as a single level, and you can case still save between them). I am hoping the developer implements a “save anytime” feature.

Gameplay video here:

Looks pretty fun

Just to be clear, this ‘Nerdook’ fellow isn’t also the developer of Dream Quest? Who is he? I can’t see any other steam games by him.

He isn’t. He used to post his games under Nerdook Productions. Before that, he was doing flash games.
He has always been very talented at iterating on others’ concepts (Vertical Drop Heroes was a mix between Rogue Legacy and Mr. Driller, and Reverse Crawl a tactical-rpg that featured tongue-in-cheek writing that didn’t annoy me, surprisingly).

There’s actually a thank you to the Dream Quest guy (Peter Whalen) on the title screen.

Sigh. Why don’t developers – of turn based games that already have a provision to save progress – understand that not everyone plays a game in one sitting? So frickin’ annoying.

-Tom

For information, the developer is saying he is working on this feature right now.

Edit: and it is now live:

Edit 2: there are also a bunch of babies asking for the designer to lower the difficulty, let them micromanage/powerplay or remove the permanent aspect of decisioning on the Steam forums. I call upon thee, QT3ers, to make your voice heard, and let him know there are people who play games looking for difficult choices and experience some frustration!

So you can’t if you don’t. ;-)

Agree 100%. Take the Darkest Dungeon Stand!

… Please no, forget what I said :O

Was putting Monsters Slayers into my cart when I noticed that there is an additional discount if I own Reverse Crawl.

Is Reverse Crawl a good game? Anyone?