Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

lol, ok, you guys sold me on this Northern Journey thing. Here I go!

Well, it’s tough to play every game and he made it clear this was only games he played.

That’s why I didn’t complain about the lack of tainted grail. It’s a nice list, with a number of games I’m not familiar with

No excuses. Nope. Only poor decisions.

Anyone hear about Necesse? Someone mentioned it on Reddit and got me interested. It looks like a top-down Terraria with some Rimworld NPC base building with both single and multiplayer coop.

It’s been in early access for at least 2 years with regular updates by a single dev. The game’s title is a pain to search for because “necesse” matches with every variation of “necessity”, but the comments I found look favorable. It’s only $5 with the Winter Steam Sale, so I might give it a shot.

Thanks @krayzkrok for “relentlessly” pushing Northern Journey. You and perennial weirdo (in a good way!) @Left_Empty got me to check it out, and it’s rijankulous in a truly awesome way. I’m not very far into it, but it reminds me, actually, a little of Myst in terms of atmosphere. The soundtrack is superb. I loved that video up above of him talking about his creative process.

It is quite weird. I found the lady (I think?) in the hut next to the droppable ladder and she spent like thirty seconds doing some weird animation that made me pull out my sling, like is this an enemy or what? And then I saw her name was Timewaster Shaman (or Witch? I can’t recall offhand) and made the Fry narrow eyes face.

I’ve got Northern Journey in my basket now, alongside Slipways. Krok’s screenshots were intriguing enough but his praise (and Dillon Roger/TafferKing’s on Twitter) sealed the deal.

Alina of the Arena is quite fun. The description of “Slay the Spire meets Into the Breach” is apt. It’s a demo, but I haven’t seen any limits to it yet, although I just finally beat the first boss.

I haven’t played Northern Journey yet, but I have it installed (it’s been a busy week at work and at home).

I predict that game is good enough to graduate from this thread (Indie game probably worth knowing about) to the recommended indie game thread (I checked it out and you should too), and then eventually to have its own thread.

FWIW, My feeling is any game that has more than a couple people talking about it for more than a couple of posts should have a thread!

Oh wow. Gotta check this out.

You should definitely play it.

I’ve been thinking it probably deserves its own thread, too, @Rock8man .

Some thoughts on Greak: Memories of Azur (from the latest Humble Choice):

I was watching this video and well, I guess it fits into the thread nicely

I think it’s really cool that the developer of Choo-Choo Charles is continuing to document his process, and how they game is coming along.

Let me tell you about The Way.

No, not this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jlTlUTWfQ

This one

This is a great-looking, lane-based auto-battler thing spun off from Ash of Gods. Not even in EA yet, but there’s a playable demo they are soliciting feedback for.

Just stumbled across this lovely looking indie puzzle adventure game from November. Lovely-looking game looks lovely!

The finalists for the IGF awards were announced this morning!

Inscryption vs Unpacking… FIGHT!

SEUMAS MCNALLY GRAND PRIZE

Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games)
Unpacking (Witch Beam)
Loop Hero (Four Quarters)
The Eternal Cylinder (ACE Team)
Cruelty Squad (Consumer Softproducts)
Unsighted (Studio Pixel Punk)

Honorable Mentions: Toem (Something We Made), Norco (Geography of Robots), Overboard! (inkle), Satumalia (Santa Ragione), Dodgeball Academia (Pocket Trap), Webbed (Sbug Games), Fuzz Dungeon (Jeremy Couillard)

EXCELLENCE IN AUDIO

Toem (Something We Made)
Unpacking (Witch Beam)
Jett: The Far Shore (Superbrothers A/V + Pine Scented)
Mini Motorways (Dinosaur Polo Club)
Sable (Shedworks)

Honorable Mentions: Severed Steel (Greylock Studios), A Musical Story (Glee-Cheese Studios), Death’s Door (Acid Nerve), The Vale: Shadow of the Crown (Falling Squirrel), Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Ember Lab), Overboard! (inkle), The Wild at Heart (Moonlight Kids)

EXCELLENCE IN DESIGN

Unpacking (Witch Beam)
Overboard! (inkle)
Strange Horticulture (Bad Viking)
Webbed (Sbug Games)
Midnight Protocol (LuGus Studios)

Honorable Mentions: Loop Hero (Four Quarters), Unsighted (Studio Pixel Punk), Mini Motorways (Dinosaur Polo Club), Card Shark (Nerial), KeyWe (Stonewheat & Sons), Sunshine Heavy Industries (Daisyowl Games)

EXCELLENCE IN NARRATIVE

Last Call (Nina Freeman and Jake Jefferies)
Neurocracy (Playthroughline)
Closed Hands (Passenger)
Overboard! (inkle)
Unpacking (Witch Beam)

Honorable Mentions: Card Shark (Nerial), Norco (Geography of Robots), The Big Con (Mighty Yell), Tux and Fanny (Ghost Time Games), Opus: Echo of Starsong (Sigono), Sable (Shedworks), Blackhaven (Historiated Games)

EXCELLENCE IN VISUAL ART

The Eternal Cylinder (ACE Team)
Behind the Frame: The Finest Scenery (Silver Lining Studio)
Papetura (Petums)
Fuzz Dungeon (Jeremy Couillard)
The Wild at Heart (Moonlight Kids)
Jett: The Far Shore (Superbrothers A/V + Pine Scented)

Honorable Mentions: Inscryption (Daniel Mullins Games), A Musical Story (Glee-Cheese Studios), Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Ember Lab), Saturnalia (Santa Ragione), Stonefly (Flight School Studio), Cris Tales (Dreams Uncorporated, Syck)

BEST STUDENT GAME

Cai Cai Balão (Look Up Games)
Abriss - build to destroy (Randwerk Games eG)
Letter Lattice (Ethan Zarov)
SmallLife (Yueqi Wu)
Nainai’s Recipe (Fan Fang, Mai Hou)
Live Adventure (Live Adventure Team)

Honorable Mentions: Astreia’s Gift (Femy Nassirou & Hervé Blanchot), There You Are (Funky Dango), The Bleeding Tree (No Input Interactive), dumpling.love (the parks staff), Lysfangha (Baptiste Marsac & Daphne Pauchet-Deloffre), Jivana (Team Jivana), Hook Up (Team Hook Up), Come with Me (Xin Ye)

NUOVO AWARD

Memory Card (Lily Zone)
Okthryssia and Saturnia’s Bureaucratic Adventures (Outlands)
Space Hole 2020 (Sam Atlas)
Tux and Fanny (Ghost Time Games)
Cruelty Squad (Consumer Softproducts)
Sparkles & Gems (Resnijars)
Fuzz Dungeon (Jeremy Couillard)
Cuccchi (Fantastico Studio)

Honorable Mentions: Last Call (Nina Freeman and Jake Jefferies), The Shape of Time (落日间 xpaidia studio), The Under Presents (Tender Claws), ~Song of Homunculus~ (Diamond Ace (Lily Zone + Zoë Sparks)), Card Shark (Nerial), The Vale: Shadow of the Crown (Falling Squirrel)

Given the incredible year on the indie front, what a mild, even complacent, selection of nominates.

I don’t see Pawnbarian anywhere in there, so the list lacks credibility.