Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Whoa, what the heck kind of game is that??

A 2d run-and-gun platformer

I bought Hero’s Hour on itch.io (just $10) and can start to answer some of my questions about the differences:
There is a larger range of things to build in each city, and the pre-requisties chain for the buildings is randomized. There are more overland buildings, and their type and placement is randomize, as are the maps themselves. There are a lot more factions. And troops from in-map troop generators automically flow to your buildings, dont need to go get them- I think this may have been a feature i Homm4?
Its an auto-battler, which is fine with me, but I wish there was more detailed feedback about whats going on, I find it hard to follow the battles.

I picked up Syrak yesterday, and there’s a germ of a good board game there. Basically you play cards on various cities that generate assets and influence that allow you to purchase more cards. Victory is won by either controlling certain cities, filling up a card track, or having the most influence at the end of a set number of turns. I haven’t played a full game yet, as I’m still learning my way around.

Right now, it’s very rough. You can only play one side in single player, and not all of the buttons work as they should. Also some of the cards don’t clearly explain their benefits. No tool tips. Most concerning, the AI will never be developed to be more than a learning tool so you can play multiplayer. Can’t say yet if that’s good enough, even for $7.

OTOH the developer is pretty responsive and has helped with a couple of issues I experienced at the start. It might be worth the $ just to encourage him to keep at it.

Anyone look at Hero’s Hour yet? I saw TechRaptor do a bunch of articles talking about the various factions in this pixel art looking strategy game so I looked it up on Steam - it’s a cute pixel art Heroes of Might and Magic but the combat is an auto-battle (though you pause the action to move order units around and cast spells as needed). The UI looks great, the game itself looks amazing to me, and I think it could be a real sleeper. If I didn’t have so many f’ing games on my plate right now I’d pick it up as it launches today. I think it’s $20 but 10% off for the release according to a forum thread I saw.

There is a demo which I just played and I really liked what I saw, some very smart upgrades to the tired and true Might and Magic systems, and there seems to be a LOT of variety between factions/units/heroes/spells/etc.

I’ve played a bunch of it on Itch and it is sooooo good. Waiting for my Steam key.

I’ve had the demo cued up on itch for awhile, but keep forgetting to give it a whirl!

I somehow never got into HOMM, despite it being very obviously My Shit, so curious about any reimaginings of that style of turn-based game.

You missed out! Just hearing the name gives me warm feelings. HoMM2 and then HoMM2 with the expansion (and new town opera music!) were just the best. I’ll have to think about this, but probably the most pleasant feel-good games I’ve ever played.

Trailer!

Base price is $18 and it’s 10% off right now.

Big update for Intergalactic Fishing today that adds, above all else, gamepad support, and it’s a literal gamechanger for it.

Fun fact: Intergalactic Fishing in an 87MB install.

-Tom

So small, yet so great.

Oh. Intergalactic Fishing. Not Fisting.

Never mind…

would not be:

Yes, I have and I like it! to quote my post from earlier in this thread " I bought Hero’s Hour on itch.io (just $10) and can start to answer some of my questions about the differences:
There is a larger range of things to build in each city, and the pre-requisties chain for the buildings is randomized. There are more overland buildings, and their type and placement is randomize, as are the maps themselves. There are a lot more factions. And troops from in-map troop generators automically flow to your buildings, dont need to go get them- I think this may have been a feature in Homm4?
Its an auto-battler, which is fine with me, but I wish there was more detailed feedback about whats going on, I find it hard to follow the battles."

I had a great time with the pre-release version so I bought a new copy on Steam; when my Steam key arrives for the version I bought before I’ll give it to my son.
Right now my biggest complaint is that when the number of distinct unit types in an army gets large, the roster display become incredibly small, which makes it hard to do the pre-battle allocation of troops into first wave and reserve. This doesnt keep me from planning to play more on my lunch break today:)

Explorminate interviewed the developer of Hero’s Hour a few weeks back: https://explorminate.co/interview-with-the-developer-of-heros-hour/

The Iron Oath by Curious Panda Games looks interesting. Another open world, turn-based tactical RPG mercenary game perhaps for the rest of us that rage quit Battle Brothers too many times. Your band ages over time and retire if you don’t get them killed. It has a demo.

Looks pretty, I watched a bit of Splattercat playing. One thing that seems strange, you can kick an enemy so they fall into a chasm but the enemy immediately reappears though somewhat damaged. Wondered what is the point of that?

Releases Spring 2022.

Rob at eXplorminate seems quite taken with what the demo offers.

I decided to give The Iron Oath demo a try. Hmmm, what name should I give my company of mercs?

He is not my type, but I am not a merc.