Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Yeah, it wouldn’t let me heal a wound. Also had like three layers of overlapping data windows, including a terrain window from the map screen that shouldn’t have been there. The screen was a mess.

Potato Flowers in Full Bloom

Available for the Switch too,
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/potato-flowers-in-full-bloom-switch/
this is a light party based dungeon crawler.
It’s pretty adorable, but I’m not totally sure the dungeons aren’t proceduraly generated (edit: they aren’t!), the design being quite unremarkable in the demo (edit: it gets better!). Yes, there is a demo, and not a short one either.
The interface could use a bit of work (the equipment and skill trees are very, very dated), but there are cute ideas that I won’t spoil, and the fights are nearly full info (you know exactly what the enemies are going to do, you don’t know what is going to happen though) and require as much if not more defensive moves than offensive ones. Quite a little bit of thinking so far.
I love it :O

Edit: not a procedural map, but a carefully hand-crafted one, whee!

Did you have a red mana gem available? (I think that’s the requirement). Also the interface is a little inconsistent. Sometimes you have to click on the required resource in the confirmation box, sometimes not.

I don’t remember, but either way it’s not great if the whole thing locks up.

Just over the last couple of days I’ve gotten into Road Redemption which is a rogue-like that has you riding a motorbike along a remarkably well-maintained road in a vague post-apoc scenario, hitting/shooting/blowing up/ beheading dudes/vehicles who are mostly trying to do the same to you. Sometimes you just have to win/place/show along a certain segment, other times you have to kill x number of enemies, other times you just have to survive. It’s a lot of fun but a bit punishing in that, if you don’t meet the objective for the stage you’re on, your max health gets reduced by 25%. That’s my one beef with the game. If I could eliminate that I’d feel it a bit less unfair.

When you eventually die (your health bar reaches zero from injuries/crashes) you get to use your accumulated experience to buy permanent perks, as in Everspace. In between stages you can buy stuff that will help you during the current run only. Obviously if you fail to meet the objective for the stage, you don’t have any money to buy health, nitrous for your bike, etc. so that plus the 25% max health reduction is a real “kick you while you’re down” thing. All that said I’ve really (mostly) enjoyed it so far, but I don’t think I’ll ever get good enough to make it through the campaign.

Probably not quite a “little indie”, since it’s published by powerhouse Microids, but this looks very intriguing:
Grand Mountain Adventure: Wonderlands

SSX, but viewed from a drone. Also coming out on the Switch. Reminds me there is no Steep for Switch :(

So, Iron Oath.

I dabbled with the demo, and got stomped!

Me as well 🤕

To be fair, I was not paying much attention.

Hmm…I kinda want to have another go. However, imho, the gfx are distracting, not immersive :(.

Oh wow that seems like a skiing game actually made by people who’ve have actually skied. An indie game I can dig right now!

There is a demo for this - I had a play with it yesterday and it’s quite fun.

I got much further on my second try. Not sure if this game is for me.

For me it was all of the pointless dialog but the graphics didn’t help either.

Just chiming in to say two thumbs up and four nuckles from me on Grand Mountain Adventure. It’s the lowkey skiing game i’ve been missing in my life.

I intended to grab it on the Switch, but for some reason the EU price is twice the price of other eshops or Steam. I couldn’t find the demo @Mr_Bismarck talked about either :(

I played it a bit more, and this is quite a little wonderful toy. It’s full of atmosphere, reminding me a lot of Sid Meier’s SimGolf in that aspect. Time flew while I was navigating the first mountain, and the second one felt quite different already.
Also this is the first time I experience real, enjoyable drifting complete with covering people in snow, like a real asshole!

Not only did i have no idea that this originally was a mobile game, but that I already had it on my iPad!. Boggle. I must have downloaded the Demo some time ago but forgotten it.

It 100% needs a controller though i imagine keyboard and mouse would be ok. But this is one of those games where changing the input method really changes the experience, and sadly touch controls on a screen are just mediocre compared to controller for this one.

Ohhh this is on the Switch as well and looks perfect for it.

I grabbed it on the Switch, and it runs beautifully. There is even a 30cps limiter, I am guessing “performance” mode, to save on battery in handheld.

Alright I also snagged it on the Switch, and my gosh what a delight.