Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

NORCO is also on gamepass.

I have gamepass, and I did not know that. Thanks! Can you also fix me up with a few extra hours to play all these games I want to play?

I’ll see what I can do!

Hey Josh, (paladin’s oath dev here), I fixed those tutorial issues a while back, the demo was updated too. Hopefully you’ll be able to complete both now :)

I can’t believe this one hasn’t been posted yet, its a great-looking strategy rpg board game in video game format!

Reminds me a lot of Shelter, an “old” iOS game, that Tom loved if I recall correctly. Same guys, maybe?

Dead Grid looks awesome! Early Access though. 🤬

I tried Norco. The writing would choke Bulwer-Lytton, and the first opportunity it gives you to interact is an arcadey reflex test that you do over until you beat it. (Aka, a pointless waste of time.) Refunded. But don’t take my word for it if you have Gamepass (or a willingness to refund).

I played NORCO beyond that slightly grating introduction and it opens up very nicely in the next half hour or so. I encountered no more reflex testing. Definitely a game that gives off Kentucky Route Zero kind of vibes. I have no idea who Bulwer-Lytton is but I really enjoyed the writing so far.

disclaimer: I once released a split 7" single with a band featuring the writer of this game. although i didn’t discover that until after i played that first 30 minutes and spoke to a friend about it.

Never heard of Norco but I see it’s on Game Pass so I’ll have to give it a look.

I was indeed able to complete all the tutorials. Thanks!

Overall pretty slick, I like the presentation (although MK still isn’t my favorite game…).

(Edit: nvm, on looking again the mana is more clear than I thought)

New trailer for the 4X post apocalyptic game, Zephon, by the developers of Warhammer: Gladius:

I think trailers like this are almost worthless. No gameplay, just a vague description of some post-apocalyptic world.

On the contrary, maybe this is a very accurate depiction of what the game will be!

I like both of these takes.

On the one hand, Telepath Tactics Liberated is basically a RPG Maker game in GBA Fire Emblem style: I mean, not literally, but it’s the same kind of deal where the writing is minimally adequate at best, the graphics are functional-minus, and the game engine is awkward for everything other than the core function of GBA FE-style tactical battles. I would not recommend this to the general gamer even if it was fully baked, and even within those limitations it’s still not quite there yet, for all the version number is 1.0.something.

On the other hand, I played this for five and change hours today and had more fun that I’ve had in 20+ hours of Triangle Strategy that I’ve been semi-forcing myself to go back to so I can at least finish my initial playthrough. It’s entirely possible that this is just me, and again, I really don’t think this is going to work for a ton of people. That said, there’s something to be said for knowing your dialogue isn’t what anyone is here for, leaning away from it, and just running out nonstop battles that are well put together and balanced on Veteran, instead of thinking your dialogue is great and leaning waaaaaay into it. I dunno, this is hard to recommend but I also know that I’m going to be going back for more and will be happy to do so.

So I’ve been playing the Planet Crafter demo (free), and I like it. So far, it reminds me of Subnautica but on Alien worlds. You are trying to terraform a planet and you land in a pod and expand from there to a base. You are limited by oxygen capacity and it’s not far at first but you can upgrade oxygen tanks and build small one room pods that can refresh your supply. In the meantime, you collect a wide variety of resources and use them to craft tools / new machines / larger / etc. The planet has wrecks that you can explore, find blue prints and salvage things from to get more and different mats.

It’s made by two french guys and it’s currently out in EA, but the demo is totally solid.

Patricks Parabox Patrick's Parabox review: a super smart puzzler of infinite depth | Rock Paper Shotgun

Looks brilliant, its on mac as well as windows, out tomorrow!

It looks amazing and mind-blowing. I’m still working through Yugo Puzzle but it’s on my list!

Oh, that looks very elegant. Reminds me of an older, dead hard, puzzle game with jelly blocks, that I can’t remember the name of. I only got like 4 puzzles in before getting permanently stuck.

I confess… I gave up a bit on SOLAS128.
It took too much trial and errors in those middle game phases where you have to align timings.

I also had cut the music off. I know, I’m disappointing!

Now let’s check those two others game…