Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

I see the 2nd Goetia game was just recently released.

This comes out tomorrow as a full (no EA!) release. I thought the first one was pretty good, so am looking forward to impressions of the sequel.

Is this the first time in history that a game’s sequel is cheaper than the previous title, both on sale and list price?

If you like impossible mind-bending kaleidoscopic level design, sexy fractals and abstract puzzles then do I have the game for you!

Recursive Ruin is a really fantastic little first-person puzzler mixed with about equal parts walking sim. It has a gorgeous clean-cut sci-fi aesthetic that reminded me a lot of Echo*, but is far more technically impressive. Just look at this (taken the first level, about as ‘simple’ as it gets):

I enjoyed it immensely. I have a couple of minor reservations regarding the writing - perhaps a bit too abstract/ponderous/not sure if it was tapping into some mythology I’m not familiar with - but it really does an oppressive atmosphere well when it wants to. Shit gets weird, though I’d stop short of calling it ‘horror’ - there are no jump scares or anything of that nature. Playing late at night with my headphones on, however, some of the unsettling locations you visit (mainly in the non-puzzle walking sim sections) really did instil a feeling of existential dread.

Perhaps a little short if you’re good at 3D spatial reasoning (like me!) but I thoroughly recommend it regardless.

Plus, life advice from your spirit cat!

* RIP, ULTRA ULTRA   ( ╥﹏╥) ノシ

fox.ferro. fox.ferro. do you read me. I am bizarro you. I fell off my chair while that video was playing.
somebody help me

˙ǝɔɐɟ à ǝɔɐɟ suoɹɹǝʌ snou sɹolɐ sᴉɐɯ 'ǝɹnɔsqo ǝɹèᴉuɐɯ ǝun,p 'ɹᴉoɹᴉɯ un,p uǝʎoɯ nɐ suoʎoʌ snou ᴉnɥ,pɹnoɾn∀

I’m sure I must have seen stuff about this and just assumed it was related to the first game. Looks cool.

Ohhh, this looks great and I know someone who will love this (who loved Echo, Manifold Garden and Yedoma Globula).

This looks intriguing! But this:

is what sold it - I don’t really know how I’d rate my spatial reasoning skills, but a game being short is a huge plus point for me. Most games should be a lot shorter than they are! (Or why not have an option, next to the difficulty setting - let the player ask for a movie-length version of the game, and give them an experience edited down to the best bits.)

This got a deep belly laugh from me!

If you haven’t done so already, do yourself a favor and check out the demo for Aces and Adventures. It’s the upcoming game by Triple.B.Titles, the developers of one of my favorite games called Popup Dungeon.

I consider this to be my good deed for the day. :-)

Nice! I have a soft spot for games that use poker basics in creative ways. ;)

Nice find. Plus there’s a demo.

I recognized the text as from one of the apostolic epistles. Looks like you couldn’t do the inverted letters with accents, though. :(

Huh, the trailer gives me a bit of a Hand of Fate vibe.

Okay, this demo is incredibly slick. I’m not entirely certain I understand all the mechanics, but the way Card play works is very cool. For instance, you might need a particular suit to activate an ability, ask the while trying to set up a big poker hand. So maybe you want to take a hit to discard a particular card, but you can change the suit of that card in order to avoid taking damage (due to a passive trait). The individual rules at play are simple, but combine in interesting ways.

Hey, this looks great. I was going to say that 2030 seems a bit too soon for a futuristic hyperviolent blood sport, but I quickly reconsidered after a second of more thought.

Oh, it’s probably possible - just the tool I used skipped over them and I didn’t notice until later (and didn’t bother correcting it).

The quick Papageno jumps over the ʎzɐ̖ן fox, I guess.

Not tried it yet, but that deck editor gives me real Magic The Gathering on the Amiga vibes…

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Space Beast Terror Fright – the catch all thread

Such a show-off! :)

-Tom