Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

That game doesn’t even have its own thread. How good could it possibly be? That means no one who has played it is passionate enough about it to create a thread for it.

That’s because it’s so good that any thread with the words “space”, “beast”, “terror”, or “fright” in it qualifies as a Space Beast Terror Fright thread. I’d say the forum probably has a hundred or so Space Beast Terror Fright threads! :)

-Tom

EDIT: That’s the last time I take @Rock8man’s word for something!

Parts of the description of Space Beast Terror reminded me of Space Hulk. Any inspiration in that regard?

Oh it’s VERY Space Hulky, but faster paced and a lot of its own design. It’s got amazing variety.

There is a demo for it, at least on the Switch, and while I love games articulated around cheating, the demo made it appearent that there was a lack of an underlying overall game. You cheat and the game is to cheat and thus… cheating isn’t that much cheating? I doubt I’m being very clear…

What is this? The font makes it appear to be licensed from Firaxis, but it says nothing about that. A print-and-play Civ game? What the what? At least there’s a demo.

http://www.backglass.org/scotts/games/PocketCiv/html/index.htm

I don’t think the word “Civ” is an enforced trademark.

Introversion have just announced their next project. Honestly what they have so far doesn’t look all that unique, but you can’t not be interested in an Introversion game. And either way it’s going to be a while before you can buy it.

No, but the logo on the Steam page sure looks like Firaxis

This is a popular filler game at Chez Chick:

Basically set collection with some “take that” wrangled into a satisfying enough ten minute game. They can call themselves “Civ” because it’s obviously an acronym for Carta Imperia Victoria, so there’s not a judge on the planet that could touch them! In fact, if they thought up enough words for the letters, they could probably call themselves Sid Meier’s Civilization ™. Just stick a period between each letter and you’re good to go.

-Tom

I have to admit, I just went through the PocketCiv tutorial, and I’m liking what I see so far. Unfortunately, only about half is included in the demo, along with a single scenario, but it makes a strong first impression.

Looking forward to playing the demo. Pocket Civ had a computer version years ago:

Another entry in simple yet fun for a few of bucks, Tinyfolks.
A minimalist Darkest Dungeon in pixel graphics. 20 Classes you can combine, artefacts, town building, loot, boss battles.

I was going to get the previous game (My Lovely Daughter) from the developer, but decided to wait for the sequel instead. It’s out as of today (not EA!). Any thoughts on either?

Bean Stalker has left early access. VR-only parapalegic action-roguelike with 4 player online co-op.

I thought the game was called “buy my lovely wife” and expected a VERY different game…

Nope, but the name has me thinking of Rodney Dangerfield’s shtick

And another $3 game I quite like. 20 Minutes Till Dawn.
It’s a Vampire Survivors with active shooting. It has a somewhat more elaborate skill system, with a bunch of synergies. Just starting out I found it a bit more challenging than Vampire Survivors, but with the benefit of better pacing and a more active role for the player.

I tried the Pocket Civ demo, and it has two huge problems that appear to make it not fun to play.

The first is that there’s a random event every turn that, in most cases, will kill most of your people and sometimes your cities. It’s basically impossible to make any progress unless you get lucky and get a couple turns in a row with no event.

The second is that there does not appear to be an in-game rulebook. I tried to buy an advance that I was pretty sure I could afford, but it wouldn’t let me buy it. No way to find out what I did wrong except to replay the tutorials, which are incredibly slow and annoying.

This one needs more time in the cooker, I think.