Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

That’s excellent.

We’ve had this conversation multiple times. Someone should document it for future reference.

Thumbs up, plus one, etc.

That’s a great snark title. But it would make things even more confusing! :)

You can write about it here:

Nobody reads the first post. And you can’t make me!
(Actually, that might be kind of a useful feature)

I started playing the demo of Mothmen 1966 and you should too.
Even though I have a pretty strong allergy to the “you” writing in the style of too many Choose your adventure books (excepting, of course, the best: GrailQuest), I stopped to purchase the full game 5 minutes in.

I adore the look of that game and am tempted by that alone!

This looks like a new type of RTwpS. Free prologue. Is that the new shiny for “demo?” I have not tried the prologue. Full release July 27.

BIYFs! (Buy it you firefighters!)

Yes, but they get their own store page and reviews / ratings. I still don’t understand this trend. How is it better than having an “install demo” button on Steam? I guess most demos don’t leave an entry in your library when uninstalled, unlike these free prologues, but I just file and forget them anyway.

I’ve read developers say that Steam told them that a separate installer for a prologue is much better for visibility and the shop algorithm when the actual game releases.
Which is also one of the reasons why Steam Next demos are time limited (the other being that they are often in an early state),

I think the Vargus devs posted about it several times, a quick search got me this quote (answering a question about the disabled demo and prologue instead):

"Hey,
a demo on the main page has a negative impact on the Steam algorithm for some reason (it considers the free download visits as a ‘non-purchase’ and sends less people to the page), so like many indiedevs we only activate it during events (like Gamescom in this instance). Unfortunately, when the time is up, not only the download buttons gets disabled but the Play too, that’s a Steam thing, opposite to what we would prefer.

The good news is that it’s identical with the Prologue app published separately, even the saves are compatible so players can continue their journey there,

Hope this helps!
The Lost Pilgrims Team"

Stacklands got a big free update:

Unsure about good, but this could be cathartic, at least.

The game follows the fictional story of a global pandemic that engulfed the world and is being ignored by fanatics who do not believe that the disease is real. It is up to the main characters, 4 common citizens adequately protected with gloves and masks, to deal with these fanatics and solve the situation with the force of their own fists.

EARLY ACCESS EARLY ACCESS EARLY ACCESS

Ex-Zodiac is finally available beyond the simple demo.

EARLY ACCESS EARLY ACCESS EARLY ACCESS

Not my cup of tea, I don’t think. But I do need to give Stardew Valley another shot.

I posted about this in the digital boardgame thread, but it will probably get more eyes here.

Very good implementation of the miniatures game. There’s an adequate tutorial, but also challenge missions to introduce more advanced concepts. I like the way the FOW is implemented - you know when you’ve hit a target, but not how much damage, unless it’s so-called “special” damage (pilot injured, fire, etc.)

The two issues I think most will have is the limited plane selection (only 4 available for each side right now. DLC incoming!), but they are all somewhat customizable. Plus you can’t have more than 3, anyway. In addition you can assign a pilot from a selection of “Aces”, all of whom come with a perk of some kind,

Also there’s no campaign. It’s all stand-alone missions, but you can choose from 4 basic scenarios - dogfight, bombing, recon, and trench run. Since you can toggle more advanced rules on and off, there’s some variety, but a dynamic campaign would definitely be an improvement.

Recommended.

Have you had a chance to try multiplayer?

No, I’m a single player sort of guy.

So far-fetched.