Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Hopefully this means the Steam release will be soon. At that point, I will start a thread (if there isn’t one already by that time) for the GotY.

Woohoo!

Not left my phone since the pre1.0 beta. Fantastic game and great that Tann is still loving it enough to work on it

if you buy on itch will they give you a steam key down the road or is that a separate purchase?

I downloaded the demo, I think, on itch a while back and was surprised there was little to no sound. Made the whole thing feel very flat. Was that a demo thing, possibly a bug or something that has since been addressed? I think I had difficulty making it fullscreen too. What I played was interesting though.

I really liked the idea and approach of the first one but hated the actual implementation. I will keep an eye on the second attempt.
As a one person project I understand there are limits how complex and involved it can be. Maybe this time the whole comes together as an experience.

They will, I believe, I just want to wait. But it’s tough, lol.

@geggis there are some sound effects, but still no music

Played one game yesterday and I can see the appeal. Got to the final stage was beaten down. Game is very cool.

Vault of the Void has left early access.

Slice & Dice is updated on Google Play now. Lost all my achievements but I don’t care, just get to play through it all again!

1 for 1 on classic mode using a fun combo with a new character and item that meant I could give +10 shields to 3 heroes at one point!

Now just need one of those three to be gray or yellow with 1 attack, steel

Steam Next Fest is currently active, with demos for lots of upcoming indie games.
Currently downloading a bunch that caught my interest.

Short impressions from the ones I tried already:

Airship: Kingdoms Adrift
Airship open world. Great theme and I like “painted” art. Awkward UI, mechanically cumbersome, demo very restrictive. The actual Airship combat was kind of bad too.
Lots of interest points at the start but I feel literally zero allure to play/try again.

Against the Storm
Good colony builder already available on Epic. For me personally the “roguelike city builder” aspects are too thin and it quickly becomes boring building basically the same colony again and again. Strong theme and mechanically very sound.

Aquatico
Underwater colony builder. Despite the uncommon setting this felt very generic and somewhat soulless to me.

Floodland
Post apocalypse colony builder. Similar to other recent post-apoc colony builders (Surviving the Aftermath, Endzone). It has some charm though and a couple of mechanical additions that might elevate the final product. Decent.
Short demo.

Diluvian Winds
Turn based small outpost builder and resource manager. You are the lighthouse keeper at a resting station for travellers who in return for food and shelter work for you. If you fulfil their request or after a certain time they move on. Travellers have various traits and are different animals with individual bonuses (otters are better at fishing etc).
I really liked this one. Resources and work are reasonably scarce to make decisions interesting. The build/animals/weather provide a comfortably wide range of options. The demo is victory point based (fulfilled requests), dunno what the goal structure for the full game is.

Wildfrost
Tactical roguelike deckbuilder. Distinct art. Decent amount of actual tactics straight away, notably distinct from the Slay the Spire basics. Quite hard.
Some minor mobile game annoyances (tap this chest three times to open it).

Flat Eye
“Station builder” with a focus on story. The narrative themes are near future technology, impact of technology, AI.
A strong focus on decisions and outcomes in the story parts. The management and building aspect is very light in comparison in the demo.
Pretty good, worth keeping an eye on.

The Pale Beyond
Polar expedition choose your own adventure, with a good infusion of crew and resource management. Lovingly crafted and quite atmospheric. Promising.

Potionomics
Best described by its tags: Capitalism, Deck Building, Dating Sim. A modern Recettear with a crafting system and without the annoying dungeon crawl. Charming even though it occasionally tries a bit too hard. Recommended.

And the steam links for them, which I didn’t want to clutter the very short impressions with. In rough order of how much I liked them:

and the ones I didn’t like

One of The interesting things about wildfrost is that it doesn’t have a mana system. Instead, every unit (friendly or otherwise) performs some sort of action every X turns. Each card you play reduces the cooldown of every active unit. It’s quite clever.

The Pale Beyond looks very interesting! I just downloaded the demo and will take it for a spin.

It’s free - so no questions asked even if it feels like a beta:

Thanks, Therlun. Potionomics looked really appealing, so I appreciate the impressions. And I totally missed Diluvian Winds, and it looks great!

Played a bit of The Pale Beyond. It’s atmospheric, but I was getting the impression that the story has been determined, and you are just moving around the ship clicking the one option to go on. There are choices, but pretty much blind choices. Then I got to a point where I could not find a way to continue the story, bringing back bad memories of old RPGs where most of your time was spent trying to figure out how to go on.

The game opens up after the initial introductions on the ship with more management and decisions. The dialogue trees also have more impact in relations and outcomes.

The action(s) that progress the week are always yellow. Maybe you need to zoom out a bit on a screen to see them.