Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

These look interesting. I’d like to see some videos to get a better idea of what they’re like, but neither is more than $5, so I may just take a shot.

Devine Ascent
Cryptocracy

Cryptocracy looks like a reskin of Triple Town. Maybe there is more to it.

Triple Town?

[edit] Never mind. I looked it up. I may give it a shot for $3 anyway

An awesome iOS puzzle game (with light freemium elements, and a full unlockable version purchase). It also got a Steam release, but it lacks many of the modes from the iOS version. I think @JoshL is spot on when it looks like a clone of that little jewel (but devoid of the charm of the original, from my point of view).

Interesting Command & Colours type of game on Steam Greenlight (demo available): Eye of the Commander

Just found this gem: a fantasy-free, choice-heavy RPG: Expeditions: Viking. It is made by the same team who made Expeditions: Conquistador.

Here is some let’s play video, looks pretty good:

That’s coming out on the 27th, btw.

So I picked up Divine Ascent, and it’s quite the devilish little game, elegant in it’s simplicity. You control a single pawn on a board composed of tiles, and there are only two things you can do - add tiles one at a time to increase the elevation or move the pawn one tile at a time, There are a handful of very specific rules that determine how the pawn can move in terms of direction or from one elevation to another. Once a spot is raised it can’t be lowered.

There are two game modes - a series of unlockable puzzles (get your pawn to elevation X in Y moves) and the far more interesting Arena mode, which is more of a strategic board game. Up to 6 players compete on a fixed field to get their pawns to a height of 5 3 different times. First to do so wins. What makes it tough is you can take advantage of the terrain your opponents are creating, which makes it pretty cutthroat. There’s a large selection of maps, and some of them have special abilities that change the game (I don’t know what they are as the documentation and tutorial are both deliberately cryptic).

So far I’ve played the tutorials, beaten about a half dozen of the puzzle levels, and had my ass kicked by the AI in Arena games. I can’t say for sure if that’s because the AI is that great or I’m just not grokking the strategy yet.

It’s on sale for about $4.50 at the moment, and well worth it.

Sweet! So glad they were able to make another game! I need to play more Conquistador. I don’t know if I’m as keen on Vikings as I was about Conquistadors. But I’m happy that that first game wasn’t their last.

Asura released today. Based on his video, @Jab seemed to like it, as did another reviewer. Who’s in for such a measily pitance?

How is Crawl? Looks like several qt3 people have picked it up.

Looks cool, but there’s no online MP, which (IMO) is a killer for such a title.

According to my boys, Crawl is an amazing multiplayer game, not so much if you’re planning to play solo. They’ve been playing consistently throughout the last year.

Yes!! Conquistadors was awesome (if really hard), thrilled to see they’re producing a new title in the series.

I played it a bit with some friend, now and then. Being limited in number of friends, and number of gamepads, it was always 1 on 1, and was fine, but nothing extraordinary: the game is meant to be played with 4 players, obviously.

I might, though I’ll probably get it from GOG if I do. I’ll let you know. ;)

Anybody in the beta for this? Looks like a Paradroid Rogue like game.

Command and colours with a square grid? Ugh!

Hound is a really weird looking AI-life simulator. It’s still in early access, so that means there’s time to tidy up the incomprehensible user interface, right? Might be worth $1 in this indiegala sale.

https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/hound/562800

What would happen if Frost and Missile Command married and had a baby? It would be named Missile Cards, of course.