Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Yep, grabbed and played through tutorial last night. Loved his first game so excited about this one. Tutorial did not disappoint, will play more this weekend.

Choo-Choo Charles releases today! And we’ve even got a review -

If anyone is looking for another building toy like Townscaper, Tiny Glade is coming…

My experience with Ixion is the opposite. The game is not punishing at all if you stay on top of things because the spiral works both ways.Which then makes it too easy. Frost punk suffered from this as well. Too much of the difficulty is hidden in the stacking of disasters, but if you avoid them in the first place…

I just started chapter 3 with 4 sectors unlocked as well as all techs except third tier. I don’t think my trust level dipped beneath 90% even once.

Seems interesting, I like unique games like this.

The newly released game Melatonin looks like it might be Rhythm Heaven for PC:

Also, another inexpensive little building toy–The Block. No goals in this one, you just get a random building/terrain to place on the little grid:

Forgotten Mines has a demo and looks a pretty neat tactical rpg:

You choose a selection of trinkets and characters to start a run (more options unlocked through play). Characters level up and find items during the run that give you more options.

Each room has a turn limit and you use extra turns after combat to mine resources, so there’s some incentive to handle combat efficiently. Neat idea.

Edit: been playing the demo for a couple of hours over Steam link on iPad and it’s a lot of fun.

I hate the idle animations. They’re both too fast and too exaggerated. The combination just looks bizarre.

I hadn’t even noticed them

Yeah, I normally don’t notice them in games. These just struck me as odd. I’m sure the game’s fun though. I’ll likely give it a try.

Thanks for drawing this to my attention, albeit in a roundabout way*. I’ve always enjoyed the first one as a light hearted and very (very) cute queer romance. Kinda thought it was a one-off sorta deal but this sequel dovetails with it very nicely indeed (I replayed the first yesterday before getting into this sequel today). I think it gets a little deeper/darker in places but the overall tone doesn’t shift that much. It’s great.

* Guess this came out right in middle of when I had… things (and stuff) going on. Shame I missed it but it probably wouldn’t have done me much good at the time anyway.

Oh my, just started this an hour ago and from the moment I met the talking mushrooms I was enamoured with it. I stumbled across it several times the last couple days on Steam but it just looked like some colorful bow-shooter… well, RPS helped drawing my interest.

Glad you were able to catch up with it at the right time! I agree, the new one is mostly more of the same, but it goes a little bit deeper.

I was just looking at Blacktail on xbox yesterday. It’s on sale for another week, please keep us updated with your impressions. I did a search and there was really no mention of it here, or even much over at Resetera- just a couple of threads from mo this ago. I’m really curious how it plays- is it an open-ish world? Narrative choices that matter, etc.

It’s interesting how we’ve got two games with seemingly very similar ideas behind them. Even the titles are similar: Blacktail vs. Blackbook. Has anyone, by any chance, played both and can compare?

Haven’t played either, but from what I have read they are not all that similar. Blacktail has real time combat that I have heard described as a bit limited. Black Book has card based combat, and emphasizes the morality of your choices in difficult situations, with your sins being tracked.

Death Skid Marks became free in August.

Here’s something: Death Trash, an action rpg about Lovecraftian horrors who just want to be friends, but get slaughtered by apocalyptic punks with heavy weaponry (including the protagonist). Looks pretty slick, actually.

It has an early access on itch.io. Claims it’ll launch in 2022, soooooo probably delayed.

I’ve had that on my Steam wishlist for over a year, but it’s not the type of game I buy on early access.

Oh! I didn’t even notice it was on Steam. There’s a demo, too!