Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

The two games I am most interested in this list are the two nominees in Geggis’ GOTY list.

Our Geggis is our IGG results predicting octopus I hope.

Prime of Flames may well deserve and get promoted to its own dedicated thread.

It combines the three act model and node-to-node progression of Slay the Spire with some thoroughly crunchy and satisfying turn-based tactics, very Fire Emblem like in slickness and sophistication, albeit with its own distinct and creative systems instead of the weapon triangle.

The node to node progression within each act is however brought to life through encounters, mini-stories, events and choices, with gorgeous visuals and a thumping musical beat in the background that feel - to me - like they deliver a consistent and entrancing ambience.

You begin with a small party of 4, which you can build up to 8 or so, including ‘core’ hero units and animal units, and summons. Later, you can ‘merge’ those hero units with animals, making them riders. Your core units gain levels, which gives them new abilities, adding to tactical options in combat. Also, like in Slay, you can pick up relics that buff various things, there is a lot going on.

Yet wait! It is also like Darkest Dungeon, in that your roguelite runs harvest you resources you can use to develop a home village, giving you new options and various boons for future runs.

And and and, you can play as different clans, like in Monster Train, and the clan hero types and core mechanics are very, very different and novel.

So, in sum, I am invoking Slay the Spire, Fire Emblem, Darkest Dungeon and Monster Train. @Misguided HAS to buy this, but others should too :-P

P.S. It is a purely visual treat, but one more invocation! Your party of heroes (and animals) walks along the bottom of the screen, similar to what you see in The Banner Saga. This provides a lovely connection to what would otherwise be a disembodied ‘party’. Nice touch.

A stopped clock is right twice a day! :)

The funny thing is that I went to look at this and was immediately confused as to why it wasn’t on iOS because I misread the studio name as Rayark instead of Rayka. Their visual styles have a lot in common.

Superfuse releases in EA at the end of the month, but a beta has started. You can get immediate access by requesting it on the Steam page. Very hyped for this sci-fi supers hack and slash aRPG.

FYI, I was told that progress in the Superfuse beta will not carry over to the launch on the 31st, so I’m holding off until it releases into EA when I will immediately purchase it and start playing.

Thanks for that. Have you heard anything about when the technomancer will be playable?

I don’t know, the absolutely incoherent English in the game description is not inspiring much confidence for taking a chance on it.

I bought it, but haven’t had a chance to play yet.

In-game, my experience is that the story narrative is entirely understandable, and most of the ability / equip descriptions are clear. There are some exceptions, but few.

This is interesting, looks like Road 96 is getting a prequel but the gameplay looks totally different from that game.

Huh, I had completely missed that ustwo had a new game out there. Maybe that’s on me, maybe it’s on Netflix’s marketing. Anyway.

I played it on Apple Arcade! It’s neat, a kind of psychosocial XCom, where instead of weapons you’re hitting enemies with dodgeballs. To, like, work out your inner struggles? I didn’t end up sticking with it for too long because it was a bit too much work to jump into each session on my phone. Might work better on PC.

Jett: The Far Shore + Given Time launched today. Not into EA but into a full-blown launch.

It’s a game where you spend at least part of the time flying a low altitude jet on weird planets. There are also adventure elements and there may very well be a lot more than this to it! I was intrigued when I saw some streamers playing the first 30 minutes or so a few months ago. It’s a gorgeous game.

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that game. I need to look into that.

Inkulinati launches into EA today. It’s a turn based strategy game where you fight army vs army by illustrating them on a medieval manuscript. If that doesn’t ring a bell, go watch a trailer, they’re cool!

Inkulinati is on Game Pass, as well.

Am I bad person for not wanting to play games on Gamepass because it doesn’t fill out my Steam achievvements? Or am I just a dummy for not taking advantage of Gamepass? My sub expired last month and I’m diddling around on re-upping it.

I realize I replied to your post, but I was just putting that out there as general info, to use (or not) as you see fit.

I wasn’t offended, I was just musing!

City of Gangsters is a free game on Epic this week. How did you like it?