Little Indie Games Worth Knowing About (Probably)

Splattercat did a video on an interesting RPG today:

It’s not a looker by any means; it feels like the graphics are there merely to support the storytelling, which seems pretty thorough.

When you start a new game, the loading screen shows you all sorts of historical events and personages as they live and die, similar to the start up of Dwarf Fortress’ Adventure mode.

The game is launching into EA in April I believe.

I was just going to post about Archmage Rises. Given some of the other stuff that Splat plays, I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how good the game looks, after the intro he gave saying it wasn’t a looker.

To me, this game is dripping with old-school nostalgia. Specifically, it reminds me of Barbarian Prince, which I loved back in the day. Given this image in the description on the Steam page, I think the visuals are quite deliberate, and not simply because of lack of budget:

This might sound crazy, but if this game continues to develop in a positive direction after it enters early access, I could see myself buying a steam deck just to play this.

Holy crap, a new game in the style of the gold box SSI games? I am in!

It’s not quite that: the combat seems more Wizardry focused than fully tactical.
Actually, watching a bit of the footage, I have a hard time grabbing a feel for what the game is trying to be, with those strange fixed screens and their navigation.

Yup. Looks nothing like Gold Box, either visually or in gameplay.

That Gold Box image is just for fun and “brand alignment.”

Edit: ok that didn’t turn out how I expected but it does capture my feelings so I’ll leave it

The lost-in-translation-titled Low Magic Age, eternally in Early Access, can still cover most of your spellcasting power fantasies and is still hilariously underpriced.

It’s even on GOG, although I’d rather use the Steam version (which is DRM free as well), if only for the convenience of the very intense update schedule.

Oh that sounds interesting…/search Steam…in library. Ok then…getting old is awesome!

Just saw Splattercat’s video on Dust & Neon and thought I’d link it in here. It’s a roguelite game where you play a gun-toting robot taking on missions for a mad scientist because… uh… do you really need more justification than that? The guns appear to be procedurally generated ala Borderlands, so you can find some wild stuff. Game looks and plays very slick.

Not sure what to make of this one. The end is nahual: If I may say so

The gods have abandoned us, the nahuals have ravaged our land and you didn’t have a proper breakfast.

Let’s do some puzzles! Let’s play some minigames! Accomplish your destiny!

I’m seeing some strong reviews for Pale Beyond, a narrative survival game that comes out tomorrow. (Folks have some demo impression above.)

I played a recent version of this for the IGF (actually might have been the same demo). I really like the setting and the atmosphere, but I found the strategic decision-making a bit too harsh and the story progression too constrained. To be clear, I still enjoyed it, but I Was a Teenage Exocolonist ended up eating its lunch on almost every level (except the historical verisimilitude).

Anyway, I’m hoping its been tuned and expanded now that it’s about to release! If it has been, it’ll be another great narrative strategy game (similar to IWATE, Citizen Sleeper, Roadwarden).

Just got a notice that Dreadful River is available now (Early Access). I plan on trying out the demo. The concept of floating down a river appeals to me, and I like the screenshots. Hope it’s good.

Beautiful game world…

Is this a good idea? Can a game depict the Holocaust tastefully?

It’s free, so I guess I’ll find out later today and report back.

Haven’t been able to play it. Someone else will have to be the guinea pig.

First it told me I had to update my graphics driver, which I did. Then it told me it “runs best” with a controller, which I don’t have. I tried using the keyboard and it crashed.

Maybe once it’s out of early access…

There was an Italian adventure game, some years ago, that tried to tackle that. I failed to find it interesting, but that’s the case of most games tackling anything historical in my experience.

But given the recent trend of movie fictions on the subject, I expect this to be a resounding failure!

Lumencraft has left early access.

I’ve had Lumencraft wishlisted and noticed this - but they also have a demo. I tried the demo twice and I realize I just don’t have the twitchiness this game requires. I’m glad the demo existed and I wish the bugs weren’t so chaotic and easier to hit, but alas I just can’t muster the aiming fluid to reliably hit them without taking massive damage.

So try the demo - it’s free!

I picked it up despite no reviews

I am yearning for a car wars-type single-player game (curse you Dark Wind!), and there is simply NO games in this subgenre. Unless I’ve missed it, please tell me i have :) Anyway plan on spending some time with this, this weekend, but with no reviews…not optimistic.

How is it? That sounds really cool.

Dark Future: Blood Red States on Steam ?